What to pack for chimpanzee trekking in Budongo ForestFebruary 9, 2022
What to pack for gorilla trekking in Virunga National ParkFebruary 9, 2022
Are you planning a chimpanzee trek to Kalinzu forest? And you are trying to find out What to pack for chimpanzee trekking in Kalinzu Forest. What essential to Pack for your trek in Kalinzu? Chimpanzee trekking is one of the most sought activities to do in Kalinzu forest. Kalinzu forest is one of the best destinations for chimpanzee trekking in Uganda after Kibale National Park and Budongo Forest reserve and many others. Kalinzu forest is safe for chimpanzee trekking, the forest management ensures your safety is guaranteed for you to have an amazing time in Kalinzu Forest.
Kalinzu Forest is found adjacent to the famous Queen Elizabeth National park and Maramagambo forest in Bushenyi district Western Uganda. The Forest is has about 414 Species of trees, it harbors 378 Species of Birds, six different Species of Primates, Blue Monkeys, Vervet Monkeys, Black and White Colobus Monkeys and Chimpanzees, 262 Butterflies, 97 Moths, Reptiles and Flowers.
There are about 200 chimpanzees found in Kalinzu forest and are the main attraction with over 70 habituated chimps for trekking every day by visitors, these stay into two communities. Chimpanzee trekking in Kalinzu forest is managed by the Uganda Wildlife Authority and National Forestry Authority. The forest is safe, there are combined efforts for protection and conservation of nature.
What to Park for your chimpanzee trek in Kalinzu Forest?
We always advise our visitors to pack as lightly as you can, you may have to travel in a group and baggage size and weight limits you depending on the car booked. Below are some the things that should not miss on your packing list.
- Hiking Boots, chimp trekking involves trekking/hiking to see the amazing chimpanzees. Because of the nature of the forest plus the altitude and terrain, you need light weight hiking boots for this activity. Hiking boots are must as you decide on what to pack for your chimpanzee trekking in Kalinzu.
- Garden Gloves, You will be required gloves to protect your hands during your chimp trek. As you move in this forest, remember that it can get slippery and somehow you need to hold on something just in case such happens.
- Rain Jacket, You will never tell when it is going to rain so you need a rain jacket in order to be protected from rain. Many clients prefer traveling in drier months of June, July, August and beginning of September and try to avoid rainy seasons of March, April and May but being a tropical rain forest, it can rain any time. This should be considered as you Pack for your chimpanzee trek in Kalinzu forest
- Long Sleeved Shirts/Blouse/, you are required to have long sleeved trousers/shirts/blouse for your chimpanzee trekking in Kalinzu. Please ensure that you tack in your trousers in your hiking boots to avoid insects such as safari ants entering your trousers. Jeans trousers can do this better.
- Cameras and extra batteries, Photography is an important component of your chimp trek and thus make sure that you have your camera ready, charge your batteries very well and if necessary, carry extra batteries as you will need to take as many photographs in the one hour you will have with the chimpanzees. Please make sure that you switch off your flash while taking chimp photographs.
- Hat and Sun Glasses, if it is hot, please carry a hat to protect you from the strong sun rays. You may also need to carry some sun glasses too. These are extra optional.
- Plenty of water – 1-2 liters per person
- High energy snacks in addition to your packed lunch provided by the lodge / camp
- Waterproof bag to protect photographic equipment
- Walking sticks are made available at the Start of the trek for some of the steeper and more slippery tracks and may prove to be very handy. Walking sticks are always provided at the Forest Headquarter before you go on the trek
Chimpanzee trekking in Kalinzu forest
Chimpanzee trekking is one of the main activities to do in Kalinzu forest asides Forest walks, birding, research and mammal viewing. Visiting the beautiful chimpanzees in their natural habitat in Kalinzu forest is one of the breathtaking things to do in Uganda. Chimpanzee trekking refers to visiting the forest to see the beautiful chimpanzees as they go about their daily lives. The trekking starts early morning at the Park headquarters in Kalinzu forest with briefing about the dos and don’ts to follow while on guided walk to see the chimps upon presentation of the permits. You later start the walk into the forest guided by park guides and armed rangers who ensure your safety, once you find the chimpanzees, you will then be allowed to only one hour of viewing and photographing these amazing creatures. Only persons above 12 years are eligible to trek the chimpanzees in Kalinzu forest and other chimpanzee destinations in Uganda.
Chimpanzee permits in Kalinzu forest are cost cheaply, the Chimpanzee trekking permits in Kalinzu cost USD50 per person, the cost is inclusive of forest entrance fees and guiding fees for the day. The permits are secured from National forest Authority governing body for all forest reserves in Uganda. Contact us to secure for you the permits and plan your chimpanzee trekking trip to Kalinzu forest. What to pack for chimpanzee trekking in Kalinzu Forest
Where to stay in Kalinzu forest
Kalinzu forest is still informal with accommodation with only a do-it- yourself Camping Site at the Forest Station at Nkombe. We organize our visitors stay in Queen Elizabeth National Park as there are many choices to choose from, the lodges range from budget to Luxury, and we can book depending on your budget. Some of the lodge recommendations are Elephant Hab Lodge, Buffalo safari lodge, Mweya safari lodge, Katara safari lodge, Kyambura gorge lodge and many others. Visitors can also seek modest accommodation in Bushenyi/Ishaka Townships which is very close to Kalinzu forest.
How to get to Kalinzu Forest
Kalinzu forest can be accessed by road as it only 4-5 hours’ drive from Kampala/Entebbe. The road trip takes you through the beautiful scenery of western Uganda, the plantations and the hospitable Uganda people. Our road trips start early morning at 8:00am to beat off traffic and arrive in the afternoon at your booked hotel/camp/lodge.
You can as well fly to Kasese Airstrip which is very close to Kalinzu forest with in 2hours and less tiring than a road trip. There are daily domestic flights to Kasese Airstrips in Queen Elizabeth national park, Aerolink Uganda operates Morning and afternoon flights to Kasese Airstrip from Entebbe international Airport, considering your itinerary you can opt for chattered or scheduled flights to see the chimpanzees in Kalinzu forest.
Why book with Eco Adventure Safaris to Kalinzu forest?
Eco Adventure Safaris is experienced in organizing amazing chimpanzee and primate experiences to Uganda and whole of East African region. For the last ten years, we have overtime assembled a team mixed with young and energetic staff guided by well experienced mature managers and directors who are Ugandans and passionate about what they do. If contacted, one of our staff will assist in providing accurate and timely information that you can rely on within the Five Minutes. Eco Adventure Safaris is highly rated and reviewed on trip Advisor and safari bookings, visit our Website for a tailored trip to see the chimpanzees in Kalinzu forest. Contact us here about What to pack for chimpanzee trekking in Kalinzu Forest