What to do after gorilla habituation experienceFebruary 9, 2022
What to pack for chimpanzee trekking in Kalinzu ForestFebruary 9, 2022
Are you planning a chimpanzee trekking to Budongo forest Reserve? And you want to know What to pack for chimpanzee trekking in Budongo forest, what to pack that is suitable for your trek in the forest? Eco Adventure Safaris is here to advise you will a list of Items/things you should pack for your trek. Budongo Forest reserve is a tropical Rain forest located in Murchison falls National Park in North western Uganda in Masindi district. Budongo is a 4-5hours drive from Kampala city/Entebbe offers an extremely rich biodiversity including species of mammals, primates and butterflies. It is also the natural habitat of more than 600 chimpanzees, of which a small community has been habituated for eco-tourism purposes. This family consists of 80 individuals, allowing visitors the unique opportunity to view these amazing apes in their natural environment. Other primates that can be observed are the Black-and-White Colobus Monkeys, Olive Baboons, Red-tailed Monkeys, Blue Monkeys and Grey-cheeked Mangabeys.
The chimpanzee trekking start early morning with briefing about the dos and don’ts at the forest headquarters, you are later grouped in groups of members each with Park guides, Rangers who lead you to the forest for your chimpanzee experience. The trek takes about 2 to 4 hours, depending on the movement of the chimpanzees. Once the chimps are found you will stay for one hour with these amazing creatures to watch them eating, resting and playing. The trek gives of chances of viewing other primates, reptiles and mammals like the forest Elephants.
What to Park for Chimpanzee trekking in Budongo forest?
We always advise our visitors to pack as lightly as you can, you may have to travel in a group and baggage size and weight limits you depending on the car booked. Below are some the things that should not miss on your packing list.
- Hiking Boots, chimp trekking involves trekking/hiking to see the amazing chimpanzees. Because of the nature of the forest plus the altitude and terrain, you need light weight hiking boots for this activity. Hiking boots are must as you decide on what to pack for your chimpanzee trekking in Budongo forest reserve.
- Garden Gloves, You will be required gloves to protect your hands during your chimp trek. As you move in this forest, remember that it can get slippery and somehow you need to hold on something just in case such happens.
- Rain Jacket, You will never tell when it is going to rain so you need a rain jacket in order to be protected from rain. Many clients prefer traveling in drier months of June, July, August and beginning of September and try to avoid rainy seasons of March, April and May but being a tropical rain forest, it can rain any time. This should be considered for Budongo forest chimpanzee trekking.
- Long Sleeved Shirts/Blouse/, you are required to have long sleeved trousers/shirts/blouse for your chimpanzee trekking. Please ensure that you tack in your trousers in your hiking boots to avoid insects such as safari ants entering your trousers. Jeans trousers can do this better.
- Cameras and extra batteries, Photography is an important component of your chimp trek and thus make sure that you have your camera ready, charge your batteries very well and if necessary, carry extra batteries as you will need to take as many photographs in the one hour you will have with the chimpanzees. Please make sure that you switch off your flash while taking chimp photographs.
- Hat and Sun Glasses, if it is hot, please carry a hat to protect you from the strong sun rays. You may also need to carry some sun glasses too. These are extra optional.
- Plenty of water – 1-2 liters per person
- High energy snacks in addition to your packed lunch provided by the lodge / camp
- Waterproof bag to protect photographic equipment
- Walking sticks are made available at the Start of the trek for some of the steeper and more slippery tracks and may prove to be very handy.
Most Popular Chimpanzee Tours to Budongo Forest Reserve.
- 3Day Chimpanzee trek
- 4Day Chimpanzee double trek
- 4 Day Chimpanzee and Birding experience
- 5Day Budongo Chimpanzee and Game safari
- 5Day Chimpanzee and Rhino Tracking Safari
How to get to Budongo Forest Reserve?
Budongo Forest Reserve can be accessed by road as it only 4-5 hours’ drive from Kampala/Entebbe to Masindi /Budongo central Forest Reserve. You can access the forest reserve from the main gate of Murchison falls national park and you will be required to Pay Park entrance fees, As all our packages are inclusive, you should not worry at all as you will have chance to even visit the tops of the falls and participate in other activities as per your interest.
You can as well visit Budongo forest reserve by air, there are daily domestic flights to Pakuba, Chobe, Bugunga Airstrips in Murchison falls National Park, and this reduces your drive time to only one hour by flight. Aerolink Uganda operates Morning and afternoon flights to Murchison from Entebbe international Airport, considering your itinerary you can opt for chattered or scheduled flights to see the chimpanzees in Budongo Forest Reserve.
Where to stay to see the Chimpanzees in Budongo Forest Reserve?
Most of the travelers have always opted to stay with in Murchison Falls National Park as it have a variety of lodges and which are close to Budongo Forest Reserve. There are number of options ranging from budget to Luxury lodges. You can stay at Bakers lodge, Murchison River lodge, Paraa safari lodge as luxury options, then Pakuba Safari Lodge and Kabalega wilderness camp for midrange option, you can stay Red chilli Hideaway, Pumba safari lodge for budget clients. Yes you can stay in Budongo forest as well at budongo Eco lodge which is a budget lodge as you listen to the sounds of from the forest.
Why book with us a chimpanzee trek to Budongo forest reserve?
Eco Adventure Safaris is experienced in organizing amazing chimpanzee experiences to Uganda and Rwanda and Primate Safaris to all East African destinations. For the last ten years, we have overtime assembled a team mixed with young and energetic staff guided by well-experienced mature managers and directors who are Ugandans and passionate about what they do. If contacted, one of our staff will assist in providing accurate and timely information that you can rely on within the Five Minutes. Eco Adventure Safaris is highly rated and reviewed on trip Advisor, visit our Website for a tailored trip to see chimpanzees in Budongo Central Forest Reserve. Contact us here about What to pack for chimpanzee trekking in Budongo Forest