Here is the Best place for Gorilla Trekking in AfricaAugust 23, 2023
How Best to Plan Gorilla Trekking for Old People?August 23, 2023
Are you planning a trip to Bwindi Impenetrable National Park, located in southwestern Uganda, is renowned for its population of endangered mountain gorillas but you want to know what kind of Accommodation is in Bwindi. While there are only 2 lodges inside the park itself, there are several lodging options available in the nearby communities that cater to tourists visiting Bwindi. What kind of Accommodation is in Bwindi? Here are some common types of accommodations you can find in the Bwindi area:
- Lodges and Luxury Camps: There are numerous lodges and luxury camps situated around Bwindi National Park. These establishments offer comfortable and often luxurious accommodations with amenities such as private cabins or tents, en-suite bathrooms, hot water, electricity, and restaurant facilities. Some popular lodges include Buhoma Lodge, Mahogany Springs Lodge, and Clouds Mountain Gorilla Lodge.
- Mid-range and Budget Lodges: For travelers on a tighter budget, there are mid-range and budget lodges available in the vicinity of Bwindi. These accommodations generally provide comfortable rooms or cottages with basic amenities like shared bathrooms, electricity, and dining options. Examples include Nkuringo Bwindi Gorilla Lodge and Gorilla Mist Camp.
- Community and Eco-Lodges: In an effort to support local communities and promote sustainable tourism, there are community-based and eco-lodges available in the area. These lodges provide unique experiences and often employ local staff, offering a chance to interact with the local community and learn about their way of life. Examples include Bwindi View Bandas, Bwindi Forest Lodge, Ruhija Gorilla Friends Resort and Campsite. What kind of Accommodation is in Bwindi?
- Tented Camps: Some operators offer tented campsites near Bwindi, which provide a more adventurous and closer-to-nature experience. These camps usually consist of comfortable tents with beds and shared bathroom facilities. They are a popular choice for those seeking a more immersive wilderness experience.
- Homestays: For a culturally enriching experience, you can opt for homestays in nearby communities. This allows you to stay with local families, experience their daily life, and gain insights into their culture and traditions.
What kind of Accommodation is in Bwindi? It’s important to note that availability and amenities may vary among accommodations, so it’s recommended to research and book in advance. Additionally, due to Bwindi’s popularity, it’s advisable to secure accommodations well ahead of your planned visit.
Gorilla trekking in Bwindi impenetrable National Park
Gorilla trekking means visiting the gorillas in their natural habitat in the forest, the trek in Bwindi forest starts at 7:00am with briefing at every Park headquarters in each region on the dos and don’ts while moving in the forest and with the gorillas. After briefing, the park guides, rangers, and trackers lead you to the forest to find the gorillas. You are allowed one hour of viewing the gorillas when found and later you return to the starting point to receive a certificate for the successful gorilla trekking in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park.
The gorillas are amazing to watch as they have 95% of the human DNA. Only eight visitors allowed to see gorillas per habituated family per day according to Uganda wildlife Authority policy so as to conserve the gorillas. To be allowed to do gorilla trekking, you must be aged 15 years and above as per the policy and minors are not allowed to trek since they may not easy be controlled in the forest and may easily transmit diseases to the gorillas. Bwindi impenetrable National Park is safe for gorilla trekking, policies and guidelines are in place for trekking and conservation which as Eco Adventure Safaris we always share with you while planning your gorilla trip.
What is the price of the gorilla trekking permit in Bwindi impenetrable National Park?
Bwindi Impenetrable National Park has about 144 gorilla trekking permits per day to be sold at Uganda Wildlife Authority. The gorilla trekking permit for Bwindi costs USD700 per person for Non-Foreign Residents, USD600 for Foreign Residents and Shs.250, 000 for East African Citizens. You are allowed only one hour of viewing of the gorillas or staying in their space.
The gorilla trekking permits normally sell out so very quickly during the high season (January, February, July, August, September, and December every year. Contact Eco Adventure Safaris about your planned trek and desired dates, we shall check the availability of permits online system for Uganda Wildlife Authority and if permits are available, we shall send you an invoice to make payment for the permits as they are top priority and if they are not available, you will choose other dates that have availability of permits. Once we receive payment, we shall book and secure your permits and send you copy of the receipt with the booking ID to confirm your trek. The process of acquiring the gorilla permits is easy and transparent for your booking of a gorilla trip to Bwindi impenetrable National park.
What is the best time for gorilla trekking in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park?
Visiting Uganda to trek gorillas in Bwindi Forest. Since Bwindi is a tropical forest and there are rains throughout the year, the best time to trek gorillas in Bwindi is during the drier months of January, February, June, July, August and early September, these months experience less rainfall though the climate changes every day. Any time of the year, you can visit the gorillas in Bwindi. Sometimes, the rainy season is considered better to see the gorillas as there is a lot of food growing because of rain and gorillas can clearly be spotted. Gorilla permits tend to sell out quickly and all those interested in trekking gorillas during this time should book their gorilla permits in advance.
How to access Bwindi Impenetrable National Park for gorilla trekking?
You can access Bwindi impenetrable national Park by road, it is about 9-10 hours’ drive from Kampala/Entebbe. The road trip is enjoyable as you will stop at the Equator for Photography, Lunch in Mbarara and other stops to view beautiful scenery. We do use 4×4 vehicles that are comfortable for your trip and our professional and trained driver guides will ensure your safety on your gorilla trip.
You can as well fly to Kisoro or Kihihi Airstrips that serve Bwindi impenetrable national park. The flights is about 1-2 hours and they you drive to the hotel/ lodge. There are daily flights from Entebbe international Airport and Kajjansi Airstrip, you can opt for scheduled flights or chartered flights depending on your budget and planned trip.
You can also fly into Kigali international Airport, drive to south western Uganda through Cyanika or Katuna Boarder which take only 4-5 hours with the time spent at immigrations at the border. We always advise our visitors to acquire the East African Visa which allows multiple entry of both Uganda, Kenya and Rwanda. The East African Visa fee costs USD100 which can be gotten at the Airport upon arrival or online and it is cost effective instead of buying single entry Visas. But you can as well opt to secure single Visas as well, the Rwandan Visa costs USD30 and Uganda Visa cost USD 50. Bwindi impenetrable national park is easily accessible and safe for gorilla trekking.
Book your Trip to Bwindi to visit the Mountain Gorillas through Eco Adventure Safaris
Eco Adventure Safaris is a Local tour operator based in Uganda with its head offices in Entebbe. Eco Adventure Safaris is run and owned by Ugandans. We have been in operation for more than 10 years and we specialize in life-changing experiences and sustainable tours and holidays to all East African countries. We are members of AUTO (Association of Uganda Tour Operators) and are registered by UTB (Uganda Tourism Board). We have a good and long working relationship with UWA (Uganda Wildlife Authority) making it easy to book your gorilla permits and gorilla trekking safari. Eco Adventure Safaris is highly reviewed on trip advisor. Please contact Eco Adventure Safaris about What kind of Accommodation is in Bwindi.