Combine Hiking Mountain Kilimanjaro with a Gorilla trek in RwandaJanuary 10, 2024
Kenya Electronic Travel AuthorizationJanuary 14, 2024
Are you planning a trip to DR Congo to trek gorillas but want to know what else to do after Gorilla Trekking in DR Congo? After enjoying the incredible experience of gorilla trekking in DR Congo there are several other activities and places to explore in the region. Gorillas in Congo are found in Virunga National Park which is home to the Mountain Gorillas, Kahuzi Biega National Park and Maiko National Parks home to the Eastern Lowland Gorillas and in the north that is Lesio Louna National Park home to the Western Lowland Gorillas which can be trekked by Boat.
Here are some recommendations for what else to do after Gorilla Trekking in DR Congo:
- Visit Virunga National Park: Virunga National Park is not only home to mountain gorillas but also boasts diverse wildlife, stunning landscapes, and unique ecosystems. You can explore other areas of the park, such as Nyiragongo volcano, which is famous for its active lava lake or hike to the summit of Mount Mikeno for panoramic views.
- Hike Mount Nyiragongo: This active volcano is a must-visit for adventure enthusiasts. The challenging hike to the top rewards you with breathtaking views and the chance to witness the world’s largest lava lake. Be sure to arrange this trip through a reputable tour operator, as it requires proper gear and permits.
- Explore Lake Kivu: Lake Kivu is a beautiful, serene lake located in the eastern part of DR Congo. You can relax by the lakeshore, take a boat trip, or visit the nearby towns of Goma and Bukavu, where you can learn about the local culture and history.
- Go on a cultural tour: DR Congo is rich in cultural diversity, and there are many indigenous communities with unique traditions and customs. Consider taking a cultural tour to interact with local people, learn about their way of life, and enjoy traditional dances and music.
- Visit Kahuzi-Biega National Park: This park is another UNESCO World Heritage Site in DR Congo and is known for its Eastern Lowland gorillas. You can go gorilla trekking here as well, or explore the park’s diverse flora and fauna.
- Birdwatching and wildlife viewing: DR Congo is a paradise for birdwatchers and wildlife enthusiasts. Many national parks and reserves offer opportunities to spot a wide variety of bird species, mammals, and other wildlife.
- Participate in community-based tourism: Support local communities by engaging in community-based tourism activities. This can include staying in community-run lodges, visiting local markets, and learning about the traditions and daily lives of the local people.
- Relax and unwind: After the physically demanding gorilla trekking and other activities, take some time to relax and rejuvenate. Many lodges and resorts in the region offer comfortable accommodations and beautiful surroundings for relaxation.
About Virunga National Park
Virunga National Park is one of the most diverse tropical rain forests and oldest national parks in Africa mostly famous for mountain gorilla trekking in DR Congo, other activities done here include Nyirangongo volcano hike, bird watching, Nature walks, Chimpanzee tracking, and Habituation. It should be noted that three countries have mountain gorillas in the whole world. These countries include Uganda, the Democratic Republic of Congo, and Rwanda. Rwanda mountain gorillas are found in Volcanoes National Park, Uganda gorillas are found in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park and Mgahinga Gorilla National Park while Congo mountain gorillas are located in Virunga National Park. All these national parks are close to each other in what is termed as the Virunga massif.
About Kahuzi Biega National Park
Kahuzi Biega National Park was created in 1970 and the first Lowland Gorilla trekking was done in 1973, when it comes to Lowland gorilla trekking it ranks high, it was gazetted to conserve the Grauer’s gorilla species the world’s largest gorilla species. The Eastern Lowland gorilla also known as Grauer’s gorilla is the largest of the four gorilla subspecies, trekking Eastern Lowland gorillas is done in Kahuzi Biega National Park located in Congo 30kms from Bukavu town which can be accessed by road and air. The park was gazetted in 1970 and the first lowland gorilla trekking was done in 1973, this type of trekking is only done here and this makes the park rank high when it comes to the lowland gorilla trekking. The Park has 12 gorilla families and out of these only 2 gorilla families are habituated and they are open for visitors to trek. The families are called Chimanuka and Mugaruka both named after a dominant silverback, Chimanuka is famous for many visitors given it consists of one of the largest gorilla families in the world with over 36 gorilla individuals.
What is the best time to visit Congo?
Congo is located in the tropics and with this it experiences tropical climate and weather throughout the year, both Virunga and Kahuzi Beiga National Parks experience the same weather, with this both national Parks are prone to receiving uncertain rains any time of the day or week, good months to visit Congo for gorilla trekking are dry season months which occurs in December, January, February, June, July, August and September during these months it always easy to walk through the trails which are drier compared to the wet months then as well the vegetations is not fully grown and this makes sighting of gorillas easy and more clear. Other months which are slightly wet that is March, April, May, October and November most travelers avoid visiting gorillas during these months because the vegetation is fully grown and trails are much slippery making the trekking much harder.
For tourists interested in visiting Congo for gorilla trekking in Virunga National Park have a special gorilla trekking offer during the wet season that is low season, during this time the gorilla permit costs USD200 per person per trek during the months from Mid-March to May and Mid-October to Mid-December (15th March to 15th May and 15th October to 15th December every year).
Where to stay in Congo for Gorilla trekking
Accommodations in Virunga National Park.
This ranges from budget, mid-range to luxury. Budget options include Bukima Tented Camp and Kibumba Tented Camp among others fares range from 90-100 dollars a night per person, mid-range options include Tchegera Island Camp and Lulimbi Tented Camp among others fares range from 100-200 dollars a night per person and then Luxury options include Mikeno Lodge fares range from 200-400 dollars a night per person. You let us know the best option that works for you and we will for availability and book you according.
Accommodation in Kahuzi Beiga National Park.
This ranges from budget, mid-range to luxury. Budget options include Hotel Begonias Bukavu, Exodus Bukavu, Lake Side Hotel Bukavu among others fares range from 90-100 dollars a night per person, mid-range options include Coco Lodge Bukavu among others fares range from 100-200 dollars a night per person and then Luxury options include L’Orchids Safari Club fares range from 200-400 dollars a night per person. You let us know the best option that works for you and we will for availability and book you according.
How to access Congo for gorilla trekking?
Gorilla trekking in Congo is done in Kahuzi Beiga National Park and Virunga National Park which are both located in the Eastern Part of Congo. You will fly to Kigali International Airport and then connect to Gisenyi town; from Gisenyi town, you will cross the Rwanda-Congo border to Goma town in DR Congo then drive towards the park headquarters of Kahuzi Beiga National Park and Virunga National Park from where you will do start the gorilla trek from, it is approximately a 2 hours drive from Gisenyi town to reach the park headquarters.
Why book DR Congo Gorilla Trekking Tour Through Eco Adventure Safaris
Eco Adventure Safaris is experienced in organizing amazing gorilla safari experiences to Uganda and Rwanda. We are also highly rated and reviewed on Trip Advisor. We combine gorilla trekking safaris with eco-friendly and unforgettable high-end adventure and wildlife safaris that help preserve biodiversity, conserve wildlife, and uplift local communities, these include chimpanzee trekking, Big 5 safaris and game viewing, Mountain Hiking, Boat cruises excursions, and Cultural encounters to give you a memorable and best African Safari experience including popular and great African safari destinations Tanzania, Kenya, Botswana and Namibia. Feel free to contact us for more information about What else to do after Gorilla Trekking in DR Congo.