Trip to Africa to see Gorillas and other animalsJune 6, 2023
Which month of the year is best for Gorilla TrekkingJune 11, 2023
Are you interested in visiting to see the gorillas and you are searching about What are the steps taken to see Gorillas in their natural habitat, gorillas are only found in Africa in their natural haibitat that I Mountain Gorillas in Uganda, Rwanda and Congo, Lowland Gorillas in Congo and Gabon. Here are the general steps to take when planning to visit Gorillas in Africa:
- Research gorilla trekking destinations: Find out which countries and national parks are known for gorilla populations. The two main countries for gorilla trekking are Rwanda and Uganda, although there are also gorilla populations in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Camerron and Gabon.
- Choose a destination: Consider factors such as accessibility, cost, and safety when selecting your gorilla trekking destination. Each country has different regulations and permit systems, so research the options available and choose the one that suits your preferences.
- Obtain permits: Gorilla trekking permits are usually required to enter the protected areas where gorillas reside. Permits are limited and highly sought after, so you may need to book them well in advance. Contact the respective national park authorities or a reliable tour operator to secure your permits.
- Plan your trip: Decide on the duration of your visit and make travel arrangements accordingly. Consider factors like transportation, accommodation, and any other activities you wish to undertake in the region. It’s often recommended to join a guided tour or hire a local guide to enhance your experience and ensure your safety.
- Prepare physically: Gorilla trekking can be physically demanding as it often involves hiking through dense forests and rugged terrain. Engage in regular physical exercise and build your stamina before the trip. Be sure to pack appropriate clothing, footwear, and other essentials such as insect repellent and sunscreen.
- Follow guidelines: Once you arrive at the designated gorilla trekking location, follow the instructions provided by your guide or park authorities. These guidelines are in place to protect the gorillas and ensure a positive experience for visitors. They may include rules about maintaining a safe distance, not touching the gorillas, and minimizing noise and disturbances.
- Trekking experience: Accompanied by trained guides and trackers, embark on your trek through the forest in search of the gorillas. The duration and difficulty of the trek can vary, but be prepared for several hours of hiking. Once you locate a gorilla group, you’ll usually have a limited time to observe and photograph them from a respectful distance.
- Enjoy the encounter: Seeing gorillas in the wild is an incredible and humbling experience. Observe their behavior, interactions, and unique characteristics while being mindful of their well-being and the rules in place. Take photographs and create memories, but remember to respect the animals and their natural habitat.
- Return responsibly: After your gorilla trekking experience, ensure that you leave the area without leaving any trace of your visit. Follow any additional instructions or guidelines given by the guides or park authorities regarding waste disposal and conservation efforts.
Best Places to visit for a safari to Africa to see apes in their natural habitat?
What are the steps taken to see Gorillas? Visiting Africa to see mountain gorillas in their natural habitat Gorilla Trekking in Africa is done in Uganda, Rwanda and DR Congo which host the four national parks that are home the only remaining mountain gorillas. These include Bwindi Impenetrable Forest National Park and Mgahinga Gorilla National in Uganda, Volcanoes National Park in Rwanda and Virunga National Park in Congo. In Congo you as well have an opportunity to see the Lowland gorillas which are found in Kahuzi Beiga National Park. In order to trek at any of the mentioned national park a gorilla permit is required for you to be allowed to go for gorilla trekking. With this once you have you planned dates of gorilla trekking we recommend you start booking your gorilla trip immediately given the fact services and permits sell out very quickly especially if you plan to do the trek in the peak season of June to September, it is always better to book at least 5 months in advance prior travelling. Gorilla Trekking at the mentioned parks can be booked directly or through a trusted Tour Operator.
Cost and Getting Gorilla permits in Uganda
The Gorilla permit in Uganda Costs $700 Per person per trek for the Foreign nonresidents, $600 Per person for residents and $70 for East African Citizens (Uganda, Rwanda, Tanzania, Kenya, Burundi and South Sudan), this gives you an opportunity to spend one hour encounter with the mountain gorillas in Bwindi Impenetrable Forest National Park or Mgahinga Gorilla National Park. Uganda has 17 habituated gorilla family groups with 16 found in Bwindi and 1 in Mgahinga this means 136 Gorilla permits are available every day for gorilla trekking in Uganda. Gorilla trekking in Uganda also gives you an option to spend more time with the mountain gorillas through Gorilla habituation experience which is only done in Bwindi forest, a gorilla habituation permit costs $1500 per person giving you an opportunity to spend 4 hours encounter with the semi habituated mountain gorillas under the guidance of trackers and researchers as opposed to one hour for the normal trekking. Getting gorilla permits in Uganda can be done directly by booking them through Uganda Wildlife Authority or through a trusted tour operator in Uganda like Eco Adventure Safaris.
Cost and Getting Gorilla Permits in Rwanda
The Gorilla permit in Rwanda Costs $1500 Per person per trek for the Foreign nonresidents, $500 Per person for foreign residents and $200 for East African Citizens (Uganda, Rwanda, Tanzania, Kenya, Burundi and South Sudan), this gives you an opportunity to spend one hour encounter with the mountain gorillas in Volcanoes National Park. Rwanda has 12 Gorilla families hence 96 Gorilla permits are available each day for gorilla trekking in Volcanoes National Park. Getting gorilla permits in Rwanda can be done directly by booking them through Rwanda Development Board or through a trusted tour operator in Rwanda like Eco Adventure Safaris.
Cost and Getting Gorilla Permits in DR Congo
Gorilla tracking in Congo is done in Virunga National Park for Mountain Gorillas and Kahuzi Beiga National Park for Lowland gorillas. A gorilla permit in Virunga National Park costs $400 per person per trek for the high season months of Mid-December to mid-march then June to October and then $200 for the low season months of mid-march to mid-May and then mid-October to mid-December every year. A gorilla permit in Kahuzi Beiga National Park costs $400 for foreign non residents, $200 for East Africa Residents and $20 national resident. Getting gorilla permits in Congo can be done directly by booking them through Virunga National Park or through a trusted tour operator like Eco Adventure Safaris.
P.S When booking your gorilla permit it is important to note that the gorilla permit price excludes accommodation, air tickets, ground transport, meals and other expenses, you will need to get more details of the package you are booking with your tour operator.
Uganda is one of the Best places to visit gorillas in Africa, compared to Congo Uganda is safe for travelers and compared to Rwanda Uganda is much affordable for gorilla trekking.
What is the age limit for Gorilla Trekking in Africa?
What are the steps taken to see Gorillas. The minimum age limit for visiting apes in Africa is 15 years and the maximum age is 85 years depending on fitness levels. Gorilla trekking for elders is now made possible especially in Bwindi forest through the provision of sedan chair carriers, these chairs are used to carry those who feel unfit and are unable to walk into the forest at the time of their trek, you will be carried by potters to and from the forest during your trek, hiring the sedan chair can done in advance or at the day of the trek and price ranges from 400-500 dollars.
What is the best time for Gorilla Trekking in Africa?
Gorilla trekking in Africa is done throughout the year and the best time to do a gorilla trekking in Africa is during the drier months of January, February, June to early September, this is makes it easier to travel to the park and gives a clear view of gorillas given the vegetation cover is not too much high grown.
What to pack for Gorilla Trekking in Africa?
What are the steps taken to see Gorillas? During gorilla tracking you will need a comfortable, hard wearing, pair of walking shoes or boots. Conditions are generally very muddy in the forest when it is raining. There are uphill sections which may be quite steep and strenuous. It is also advisable to wear a long sleeve cotton shirt and lightweight long trousers to protect yourself from the undergrowth, stinging nettles and biting ants. Suggested Items to pack for Gorilla trekking;
• Insect Repellent
• Torch/Flashlight – and Spare Batteries
• Wet Wipes
• Water Bottle
• Camera, lenses etc
• Comfortable walking/hiking boots & socks
• Gardening gloves for gorilla tracking
• Sandals/strops/walking shoes
• Hat and Sunscreen
• Rain Jacket
• Binoculars (game/bird watching)
Why book your Trip to Africa to see Gorillas with Eco Adventure Safaris?
Eco Adventure Safaris will help you book your Gorilla Trekking in Uganda Rwanda Africa and DR Congo contact us and we advise you on the booking process. We as well have different gorilla trekking safari packages ranging from budget, mid-range to luxury options that we can book for you including the gorilla permits. Feel free to checkout our trip advisor reviews and read from a community of happy satisfied clients. With us, you can be rest assured of a memorable Uganda safari holiday. We are devoted to providing excellent service and customer satisfaction. Our team of excellent tour consultants is always willing to help answer all your safari questions. We guarantee you a great gorilla tour in Uganda, Rwanda and DR Congo with us. Feel free to contact us here for more details about What are the steps taken to see Gorillas.