Uganda Wildlife Authority stops offers for the extra Gorilla PermitsFebruary 1, 2024
The Best option for gorilla trekking in CongoFebruary 1, 2024
Deciding Uganda vs Rwanda which is best for your next trip depends on your interests, preferences, and what you hope to experience during your journey. Both countries offer unique attractions and experiences, so here are some factors to consider when making your choice:
- Wildlife and Safari:
- Uganda: Known for its diverse range of wildlife, including the famous mountain gorillas in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park and Queen Elizabeth National Park, which offers excellent game drives and boat safari on Kazinga Channel.
- Rwanda: Rwanda is also famous for mountain gorilla trekking in Volcanoes National Park, where you can have a unique encounter with these magnificent creatures. Akagera National Park is home to the Big Five and offers great safari opportunities.
- Scenery and Landscape:
- Uganda: Uganda boasts stunning landscapes, including the lush forests of Bwindi, the Rwenzori Mountains, the picturesque Lake Bunyonyi, and the source of the Nile River at Jinja.
- Rwanda: Rwanda is often referred to as the “Land of a Thousand Hills” due to its rolling hills, making for beautiful scenic drives and hikes. It also has serene lakes like Lake Kivu and beautiful tea plantations.
- Culture and History:
- Uganda: Uganda is culturally diverse, with over 50 different ethnic groups. You can explore their traditions, music, dance, and visit historical sites like the Kasubi Tombs in Kampala.
- Rwanda: Rwanda has a rich cultural heritage, and you can learn about the history of the Rwandan genocide at various memorial sites, such as the Kigali Genocide Memorial. You can also experience the warm hospitality of the Rwandan people.
- Uganda: Uganda has a broader range of international airports, with Entebbe International Airport being the main gateway.
- Rwanda: Rwanda’s main international airport is Kigali International Airport, which is well-connected to various destinations in Africa and beyond.
- Uganda: Generally, Uganda may offer slightly more budget-friendly options for accommodation and activities compared to Rwanda.
- Rwanda: Rwanda tends to have a bit more upscale and eco-friendly lodging options, which can be pricier.
- Both Uganda and Rwanda are considered safe for travelers, but it’s essential to stay informed about the current situation and follow any travel advisories.
Ultimately, the choice between Uganda vs Rwanda which is best for your next trip depends on your interests and what type of experience you’re looking for. If you’re primarily interested in gorilla trekking, both countries offer fantastic opportunities. However, consider the additional experiences, landscapes, and cultural aspects that each destination offers to make an informed decision for your next trip.
What is the best country to see the gorillas in Rwanda or Uganda?
People say Rwanda is a better option than Uganda. Reasons to support this is that Volcanoes National Park is a 2-3 hours’ drive from Kigali, that Gorillas are easily seen etc. This is indeed very true and no one can run away from it. People used to avoid gorilla trekking in Uganda because of the 9-10 hours’ drive from Entebbe International Airport to Bwindi but now we arrange tours to Bwindi via Kigali which then becomes 4-5 hours’ drive only. With this, you land in Kigali, use the East African Tourist Visa (which allows you to visit both countries at ago) and then trek gorillas in Uganda at an affordable price. Because of this, even Rwanda tour operators are selling Uganda instead of their country.
In terms of Lodges, Both National Parks have Budget, Mid-Range and Upmarket Lodges where you could choose to stay during your trek. Volcanoes National Park is the best place for gorilla trekking for those interested in staying in super luxury lodges on international standards compared to Bwindi. These lodges offer great and luxury services some are ranked among the best in Africa and the country at large for example Bisate Lodge and Singita Kwitonda Lodge in Volcanoes National Park. However, for those looking for much budget lodges then Bwindi is best option for you given the fact there are many options to choose from where to stay ranging from $30 to $100 as per your booked package.
In terms of Gorilla families, Bwindi Impenetrable Forest National Park has more gorilla families open for trekking than Volcanoes National Park. Bwindi has more than 20 habituated gorilla family groups. Volcanoes National Park has 12 Gorilla families. This makes it more flexible to get gorilla trekking permits in Bwindi compared to Volcanoes National Park, especially during the peak season months.
In terms of the best gorilla trekking experience, the whole truth is that both Volcanoes National Park and Bwindi Impenetrable National Park have mountain gorillas and there is no big difference when it comes to the experience obtained at the end of your trek. Chances of seeing gorillas in Volcanoes National Park and Bwindi Impenetrable National Park are 98% so whichever park you visit you will be able to see these great apes in their natural environment. Gorilla trekking in Bwindi also gives you an option to spend more time with the mountain gorillas through a Gorilla habituation experience which is only done in Bwindi Forest, a gorilla habituation permit costs $1500 per person giving you an opportunity to spend 4 hours encounter with the semi habituated mountain gorillas under the guidance of trackers and researchers as opposed to one hour for the normal trekking.
Best time for gorilla trekking in Uganda and Rwanda
Both parks are open for gorilla trekking all year round but it is also important to note that the forest is a tropical rainforest and can receive rain at any time. The best months to track gorillas include; June to August and December to February since they receive the lowest rainfall and the forest is less slippery. On the other hand, when you happen to travel during March to May and November there are chances of higher rainfall, you will be able to get discounts from some lodges for your accommodation.
Why book your gorilla trek in Uganda or Rwanda with Eco Adventure Safaris?
Eco Adventure Safaris takes pride in customizing tailor-made safaris. It has a very diligent and trust worthy team. Your queries are answered within 30 minutes by our team of professional tour consultants. These consultants will make you a travel plan for you, answer to all your questions and make sure all your services are booked in advance for you to avoid inconveniences. Feel free to contact us about Uganda vs Rwanda which is best for your next trip.