Gorilla trekking and Birding in Bwindi Forest National ParkJanuary 13, 2023
The Mgahinga Batwa Cultural TrailJanuary 13, 2023
The Buniga Forest Batwa Experience is arranged by the Nkuringo Community Conservation and Development Foundation (NCCDF) and the walk starts and finishes at the NCCDF offices in Nkuringo.
The Buniga Forest Batwa Experience and community walk provide the means for the Batwa to preserve and earn an income from their culture and heritage. The forest walk is a source of employment for the Batwa guides with employment and enable women sell their crafts to the visitors.
Buniga Plants and Animals
The Buniga pocket forest is rich with diversity floral; within the forest you will encounter indigenous plant species with medicinal benefits to the Batwa and the local community such as the Giant lobelias and tree ferns and species like Syzygium which provide food to Chimpanzees.
The Buniga forest is often visited by birder for its diverse bird life, with over 100 species of birds identified within and near to the forest. The trail within the Buniga Forest allows visitors the chance to sit and listen to the birds. The forest is also habitat for many mammals species to include;- Duikers, primates like the Black and white colobus monkeys and Chimpanzees.
70% of the fee you pay for the experience goes to NCCDF which employs your guides and operates local community conservation and development projects. The remaining 30% goes to the Kisoro Local Government which owns Buniga Forest.
The Buniga Forest Batwa Experience Trail takes approximately 3 HOURS
The Buniga Forest Trail showcases the life of the Batwa native pygmies—their historical nomadic cultures when they occupied the jungles of Bwindi Impenetrable Forest until 1991 when the forest was gazetted as a national park. The tribe was forced out of the park and since then have been struggling to cope with modern life outside the jungle. The Buniga forest trail is a USAID initiative put together to help the Batwa community earn a living from tourism around the UNESCO world heritage site. This walk is truly an experience, not challenging at all, but rather informative and exciting.
What to wear during The Buniga Forest Batwa Experience
You might be probably wondering what to wear for your trek, below is a compiled list on what to wear;
- A long armed sweater since the park gets cold
- 2 pairs of long trousers
- Water proof hiking boots
- A hat and sun glasses depending on the weather though this is optional
- Cameras and long lasting batteries since photography are very important to keep your memories alive. Always remember to keep our flash off.
- A pair of Binoculars. This will help you to see the vast birds Bwindi impenetrable forest has among other primates
- Gardening Gloves; these will help you when you a holding onto trees are branches through the trek.
- A rain coat; Since Bwindi impenetrable forest is rainforest, the rain is unpredictable so to be on a safer side, you will be required to carry along a coat.
- A mosquito Repellent; since it is a forest, it has different dangerous insects so its advisable to carry it along or wear it
- A sun screen; Well this is optional but depending on the season, it might get too hot and you end up getting sun burns on your skin so to avoid that, you will need a sun screen.
- You should not wear very bright colors since this will charge or scare away the gorillas.
- Black and Blue colors are also not recommended since they attract Tsetse flies So I would recommend neutral colors.
Why book The Buniga Forest Batwa Experience with Eco Adventure Safaris?
Eco Adventure Safaris is a local tour operator in Uganda, we take pride in customizing tailor made Bwindi gorilla trekking safaris starting from Kigali. Including Uganda gorilla trekking from Kigali Rwanda. We have a very diligent and trust worthy team. Your queries are answered within 20minutes by our team of professional tour consultants. These consultants will make you a travel plan for you, answer to all your questions and make sure all your services are booked in advance for you to avoid inconveniences. We also have very knowledgeable safari guides depending on your language preferences. Feel free to contact us about The Buniga Forest Batwa Experience.