1 Day Murchison Falls Safari Tour from EntebbeJuly 30, 2023
Serengeti Wildebeest Migration and Gorilla Trekking SafariAugust 5, 2023
The Best Time and Months to Climb Kilimanjaro is during the dry seasons, which generally occur from late June to October and from late December to February. These months offer the most stable and favorable weather conditions for climbing the mountain.
During the dry seasons, you can expect clearer skies and less rainfall, reducing the chances of encountering heavy rains or slippery trails. The temperatures are generally milder, especially at lower altitudes, making the trek more comfortable for climbers.
That being said, there are two main routes to climb Kilimanjaro: the Marangu route (also known as the “Coca-Cola” route) and the Machame route (known as the “Whiskey” route). The Marangu route is the only one with huts for accommodation, while the Machame route involves camping along the way. Both routes have their unique characteristics, but the Machame route is often considered more scenic and challenging.
It’s essential to note that while the dry seasons offer the best climbing conditions, Mount Kilimanjaro is still a challenging and high-altitude trek that requires preparation and acclimatization. It’s always recommended to consult with a reputable trekking company and follow their guidance for the best possible experience and safety during your climb. Additionally, be aware of the updated regulations and guidelines set by the Tanzanian authorities for trekking on Mount Kilimanjaro.
The Best Time and Months to Climb Kilimanjaro is during the dry seasons, which are generally considered to be from late June to October and from December to February. These months provide the most favorable climbing conditions with less rainfall, milder temperatures, and clearer skies, increasing your chances of a successful and enjoyable climb.
Here’s a breakdown of the pros and cons of climbing during the different seasons:
- June to October (also known as the Southern Hemisphere winter): Pros:
- Dry conditions with lower rainfall, making the trails less slippery and safer.
- Clearer skies and better visibility, providing stunning views during the ascent.
- Generally, less crowded on the mountain compared to peak seasons.
- Colder temperatures, especially at higher altitudes. Proper cold-weather gear is essential.
- December to February (also known as the Southern Hemisphere summer): Pros:
- Dry conditions similar to the June-October period, offering good climbing opportunities.
- Warmer temperatures during the day at lower altitudes.
- Slightly more precipitation than the June-October period, but still relatively dry.
- Higher chance of cloud cover, which may obstruct some views.
It’s essential to plan your climb well in advance and book with a reputable tour operator. Permits, guides, and accommodation can fill up quickly during the peak seasons. Additionally, remember that Mount Kilimanjaro is a challenging climb, and you should undertake proper training and acclimatization to increase your chances of reaching the summit safely.
Overall, while the mentioned periods are generally considered the best times to climb Kilimanjaro, some climbers also attempt the climb during the shoulder months (March to May and November) when the number of climbers is lower, but the weather can be less predictable with more rainfall. If you prefer solitude and are well-prepared for varying weather conditions, the shoulder months might be an option to consider. However, keep in mind that some routes may be closed during heavy rain due to safety concerns.
The Best Time and Months to Climb Kilimanjaro is during the dry season, which typically falls into two main periods: January to March and June to October. These months offer the most favorable weather conditions for a successful and enjoyable climb. However, it’s essential to keep in mind that Kilimanjaro’s weather can be unpredictable, and conditions can vary from year to year.
Here are some considerations for each season:
- January to March: This is the warmest and clearest time to climb Kilimanjaro. The skies are generally clear, and you’ll have excellent visibility. Temperatures are relatively mild, especially at lower altitudes, making it a popular time for climbers. It’s essential to book your climb well in advance during this season, as it can get crowded.
- June to October: This is the other peak climbing season for Mount Kilimanjaro. June and July are considered the best months for climbing, as the weather is still relatively dry and cool. August and September are also good, but they can be a bit busier. October starts to see the start of the short rains, so it’s better to climb earlier in the month.
While the dry seasons are generally recommended, some climbers also opt for the shoulder seasons of November and December. These months can still provide reasonable weather conditions, but you might encounter occasional rain, and the temperatures can be colder at higher altitudes.
The rainy seasons are generally not ideal for climbing Mount Kilimanjaro, as they bring heavy rains and reduced visibility. The long rainy season spans from mid-March to May, and the short rainy season occurs in November.
What is the best time to visit Tanzania?
Tanzania can be visited throughout the year and the best time is during the months of December to February and then June to October which is relatively dry than March to May and November.
Planning a Tanzania Safari through Eco Adventure Safaris
Eco Adventure Safaris provides unrivalled and professional tour and travel services in Uganda, Kenya, Congo, Tanzania and Rwanda. Since then, Eco Adventure Safaris as established herself as one of the leading tour operator in all these countries including Tanzania. Eco Adventure Safaris boosts of a professional office and field team that takes care of all your requests and inquiries and work closely with Tanzania Tourism Board. We are highly recommended on trip advisor as well as Safari bookings.
Our website is one of the best and reliable point to help you start preparing for your Tanzania safari as we have the best and update information that you can rely on. Eco Adventure Safaris is owned and run by Ugandans who have explored Tanzania and as such, you will be dealing with a team that sells what they know. Please feel free to contact us here for more details when Planning a Tanzania Safari