Fly to Bujumbura and trek Gorillas in Congo and UgandaOctober 13, 2023
Uganda gorilla permit booking price and checking availabilityOctober 21, 2023
Are you interested in seeing Gorillas in Congo and you are trying to search online the Steps you need to take to see Gorillas in DR Congo? Eco Adventure Safaris has listed various Congo Gorilla Safari offers Departing from Kigali. Gorillas in DR Congo can be seen in Virunga National Park for mountain gorilla trekking or Kahuzi Beiga National Park for Low Land Gorilla trekking.
For you to See Gorilla in DRC Congo, you need to secure a Gorilla trekking permit at least 3 months in advance which costs $400 Per person per trek, this permit will give you a guarantee that you are booked to visit and trek the mountain gorillas in DRC Congo. Here are the steps you need to take to see Gorillas in DR Congo:
- Research and Choose a National Park:
- DR Congo is home to several national parks where you can see gorillas. Virunga National Park to see the Mountain Gorillas and Kahuzi-Biega National Park to see the Eastern Lowland Gorillas are two popular ones.
- Research the parks, their locations, and the gorilla families they host.
- Obtain Necessary Permits:
- Gorilla trekking in DR Congo requires a permit, and it’s essential to obtain one in advance. Contact the relevant park authorities or use a trusted tour operator to assist you with the permit process.
- Choose a Tour Operator:
- Select a reputable tour operator that specializes in gorilla trekking in DR Congo. They can help with permits, transportation, and accommodation.
- Travel Arrangements:
- Plan your travel to DR Congo. You might need to fly into a major city like Kinshasa or Goma and then arrange further transportation to the national park. The best way is to fly to Kigali International Airport, start and end your trip, from Kigali you can go to Bukavu to visit the Eastern Lowland Gorillas in Kahuzi Biega National Park or to Goma Virunga National Park to visit the Mountain Gorillas.
- Book accommodations near the national park. Some tour operators Like Eco Adventure Safaris include accommodation in their packages.
- Health Preparations:
- Check if any vaccinations or health precautions are required before traveling to DR Congo. You need a valid yellow fever vaccination certificate for entry into DR Congo.
- Pack Appropriately:
- Pack suitable clothing for trekking in a jungle environment. This may include long sleeves, sturdy hiking boots, rain gear, and insect repellent.
- Gorilla Trekking Experience:
- Follow the guidelines provided by the park authorities and your tour operator during the trek. Keep a respectful distance from the gorillas and minimize your impact on their environment.
- Enjoy the Experience:
- Once you find a gorilla family, savor the experience. Remember to follow ethical guidelines to ensure the well-being of the gorillas and the preservation of their habitat.
- Respect Local Customs and Wildlife:
- Respect the local communities and their customs. Additionally, follow wildlife conservation guidelines to contribute to the long-term protection of gorillas and their habitats.
Where and How to See Gorillas in Congo
Gorillas in Congo are found in Virunga National Park that is home to the Mountain Gorillas, Kahuzi Biega National Park and Maiko National Parks home to the Eastern Lowland Gorillas and in the north that is Lesio Louna National Park home to the Western Lowland Gorillas which can be trekked by Boat.
About Virunga National Park
Virunga National Park is one of the most diverse tropical rain forest and oldest national park in Africa mostly famous for mountain gorilla trekking in DR Congo, among other activities done here include Nyirangongo volcano hike, bird watching, Nature walks, Chimpanzee tracking and Habituation. It should be noted that there three countries that have mountain gorillas in the whole world. These countries include Uganda, Democratic republic of Congo and Rwanda. Rwanda mountain gorillas are found in Volcanoes National Park, Uganda gorillas are found in Bwindi impenetrable national park and Mgahinga Gorilla National Park while Congo mountain gorillas are located in Virunga National Park. All these national park are close to each other in what is termed as the virunga massif.
About Kahuzi Biega National Park
Kahuzi Biega National Park was created in 1970 and the first Lowland Gorilla trekking was done in 1973, when it come to Lowland gorilla trekking it ranks high, it was gazzeted to conserve the Grauer’s gorilla species the world’s largest gorilla species. The Eastern Lowland gorillas also known as Grauer’s gorillas is the largest of the largest of the four gorilla subspecies, trekking Eastern Lowland gorillas is done in Kahuzi Biega National park located in Congo 30kms from Bukavu town the can be accessed by road and air. The park was gazetted in 1970 and the first lowland gorilla trekking was done in 1973, this type of trekking is only done here and this makes the park rank high when it comes to the lowland gorilla trekking. The Park has 12 gorilla families and out of these only 2 gorilla families are habituated and they are open for visitors to trek. The families are called Chimanuka and Mugaruka both named after a dominant silver back, Chimanuka is famous for many visitors given it consist of one of the largest gorilla family in the world with over 36 gorilla individuals.
How much is gorilla trekking in Congo?
Gorilla trekking in DR Congo is done in Virunga National Park and Kahuzi Beiga National Park, like gorilla trekking in Uganda and Rwanda, you will need a gorilla permit for you to be allowed to trek the lowland gorillas in Kahuzi Biega National Park and Mountain gorillas in Virunga National Park. Eco Adventure Safaris provides relevant gorilla permit booking information for Congo to enable you plan your gorilla safari well. You don’t have to hassle booking your gorilla permit if you choose from our Congo gorilla tours. We will check for you availability of gorilla permits for your requested dates, book and purchase them for you once you have made payment and book all services on your behalf. Usually you have to obtain a gorilla permit several months in advance. We always advise at least 5 months in advance or prior to your visit given they are only 2 groups available for trek in Kahuzi Biega National park. While booking a gorilla tour, always pay your gorilla permit fee in advance to enable us acquire it for you.
Lowland Gorilla trekking permit price in Congo Kahuzi Biega National park are as follows;
East African Residents-USD200
National Citizens of Congo-USD20
Gorilla trekking is a daily activity done in Virunga National Park in Congo, a gorilla permit costs USD400 per person per trek for the high season months of Mid-December to mid-march then June to October and then USD200 for the low season months of mid-march to mid-May and then mid-October to mid-December every year. As Eco Adventure Safaris we do provide all-inclusive gorilla tour packages for all the visitors with no hidden costs. The most essential and priority cost is the gorilla permit price that you will incur to secure your trek in Virunga National Park. All our tour packages range from budget safaris to Luxury safaris and you can opt to do any as we tailor your trip together according to your interest. We do have Gorilla tour packages that start in Kigali for the DR Congo mountain gorilla safari from Kigali. For a 2day Trip from Kigali costs USD1100 per person in a group of two inclusive of Gorilla permits and as a budget option, transportation, accommodation, Meals, guide services are inclusive as well.
What is the best time for Gorilla trekking in Congo?
Congo is located in the tropics and with this it experiences tropical climate and weather throughout the year, and Virunga National Park experience the same weather, the Park is prone to receiving uncertain rains any time of the day or week, good months to visit Virunga for gorilla trekking are dry season months which occurs in the months of December, January, February, June, July, August and September during these months it always easy to walk through the trails which are drier compared to the wet months then as well the vegetation is not fully grown and this makes sighting of gorillas easy and more clear. Other months which are slightly wet that is March, April, May, October and November most travelers avoid visiting gorillas during these months because the vegetation is fully grown and trails are much slippery making the trekking much harder.
For tourists interested in gorilla trekking in Virunga National Park have a special gorilla trekking offer during the wet season that is low season, during this time the gorilla permit costs USD200 per person per trek during the months from Mid-March to May and Mid-October to Mid-December (15th March to 15th May and 15th October to 15th December every year).
Steps you need to take to see Gorillas in DR Congo through Eco Adventure Safaris
Eco Adventure Safaris is experienced in organizing amazing gorilla safari experiences to Uganda and Rwanda. We are also highly rated and reviewed on trip Advisor. We combine gorilla trekking safaris with eco-friendly and unforgettable high-end adventure and wildlife safaris that help preserve biodiversity, conserve wildlife and uplift local communities, these include chimpanzee trekking, Big 5 safaris and game viewing, Mountain Hiking, Boat cruises excursions and Cultural encounters to give you a memorable and best African Safari experience including popular and great African safari destinations Tanzania, Kenya, Botswana and Namibia. Feel free to contact us about Steps you need to take to see Gorillas in DR Congo.