What is the temperature during Gorilla Trekking in Uganda?August 23, 2023
8 days Chimpanzee Trekking Safari in TanzaniaAugust 23, 2023
The Serengeti Wildebeest Migration Safari in Tanzania is one of the most iconic and spectacular wildlife events in the world. It takes place in the Serengeti National Park in Tanzania and involves the movement of millions of wildebeest, zebras, and other animals across the vast plains of the Serengeti and into the Maasai Mara National Reserve in Kenya and back again. This migration is driven by the search for water and grazing as the animals follow the seasonal rains.
Serengeti Wildebeest Migration: The Serengeti Wildebeest Migration is one of the most spectacular wildlife events on the planet. It involves the movement of over 1.5 million wildebeests, along with zebras, gazelles, and other animals, across the Serengeti ecosystem in Tanzania and parts of Kenya’s Maasai Mara. This migration is driven by the search for greener pastures and water sources, as well as the predators that follow this massive movement of prey.
Key points about the migration:
- Cyclical Movement: The migration is a cyclical event that varies in timing and location, depending on the availability of food and water. It typically involves several major stages, including calving season and river crossings.
- Calving Season: The migration begins with the calving season, usually around January to February, when the wildebeests give birth to thousands of calves within a short period. This is a vulnerable time for the young animals, and predators take advantage of the situation.
- River Crossings: One of the most dramatic moments of the migration is when the animals attempt to cross crocodile-infested rivers, such as the Mara and Grumeti rivers. These crossings are fraught with danger and often result in spectacular scenes of chaos and survival.
Here are some key points about the Serengeti Wildebeest Migration Safari in Tanzania:
- Timing: The migration is a year-round phenomenon, as the animals are constantly on the move in search of food and water. However, the best time to witness the most dramatic parts of the migration is typically from December to July. This period includes the calving season (January to February) when wildebeest give birth to their young, attracting predators like lions and hyenas.
- Route: The wildebeest migration follows a circular route that covers about 1,800 miles (2,900 kilometers) through the Serengeti in Tanzania and the Maasai Mara in Kenya. The exact route and timing can vary depending on weather patterns, so it’s a natural phenomenon that can’t be predicted with absolute certainty.
- River Crossings: One of the most thrilling aspects of the migration is the river crossings, particularly across the Mara River. These crossings are filled with drama as the wildebeest and zebras try to cross the crocodile-infested waters while avoiding predators that wait on the other side.
- Wildlife Viewing: In addition to the wildebeest and zebras, the migration attracts a variety of predators such as lions, cheetahs, leopards, and hyenas. This creates incredible opportunities for wildlife viewing and photography, as you can witness the interactions between different species.
- Accommodation: There are various types of accommodation options available for visitors, ranging from luxury lodges to tented camps. Many of these accommodations are strategically located to provide the best views of the migration and the surrounding wildlife.
- Guided Safaris: To fully experience the Serengeti Wildebeest Migration, it’s recommended to go on a guided safari with experienced tour operators. These operators have knowledgeable guides who can help you navigate the park, track the migration, and provide insights about the animals and their behaviors.
- Conservation: The Serengeti ecosystem is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and is protected to ensure the conservation of its unique wildlife and natural beauty. Responsible tourism practices are important to minimize the impact on the environment and wildlife.
Witnessing this incredible natural spectacle is an unforgettable experience for wildlife enthusiasts and photographers alike.
What is the best time to see the Serengeti Wildebeest Migration Safari in Tanzania?
The best time to see the Great Migration is during the dry season period that is between the months of July to early October every year. During this period in the southern parts of Serengeti National Park and Ngorongoro Crater the vegetation is sparse and dry, the waterways are as well dry this forces the wildebeests and Zebras to migrate to the North plains that is southern part of Masai Mara National Park to search for fresh vegetation and water. During the Migration the wildebeests and Zebras rear their young ones, this is not simple given the fact it is more of 3000 miles journey which tiresome making it a life and death migration, many die due to exhaustion giving a chance to other carnivore animals to ease their search for food like Hyenas, Cheetahs and Lions. Of the above dry months August and September are the best months to see the Great Migration given the fact this is good time as well to experience the river crossing during the migration, late October the rains will resume in Tanzania and the herds will start their journey back to southern parts of Serengeti National Park and Ngorongoro crater grassland plain areas.
Where to stay during safari to Serengeti National Park
Lodge options to stay in spending holiday on safari in Tanzania in Serengeti National Park range from Budget, mid-range to luxury options. You will choose what to stay in depending on your interests and budget. Lodge options in Serengeti National Park include Mwiba River Lodge, Mwiba Wildlife Reserve, Mbali Mbali Soroi Serengeti Lodge, Singita Sasakwa Lodge and Zawadi Serengeti Safari Lodge.
Why book your Serengeti Wildebeest Migration Safari in Tanzania through Eco Adventure Safaris?
Eco Adventure Safaris has positioned herself as one of the leading tour operators offering authentic and value-for-money Summer Holiday Wildebeest Migration Safaris to Kenya in Masai Mara National Park and Tanzania Serengeti National Park. We endeavor to provide accurate and timely information that you can rely on to organize Summer Holiday Wildebeest Migration Safaris in Africa. Our staff are always on standby to assist you with all the arrangements, and if you need more information about our service, please visit our website for more information and options about the Wildebeest Migration Safaris