The Best Time and Months to Climb KilimanjaroJuly 30, 2023
Masai Mara Wildebeest Migration and Gorilla Trekking SafariAugust 11, 2023
Are you interested in combining a Serengeti Wildebeest Migration and Gorilla Trekking Safari this is a very beautiful and unique adventure, combining two of Africa’s most iconic wildlife experiences. The Serengeti Wildebeest Migration is one of the most famous wildlife spectacles on Earth. It involves the movement of millions of wildebeests, zebras, and other herbivores across the Serengeti ecosystem in Tanzania, driven by the search for fresh grazing and water sources. The migration follows a circular route between the Serengeti National Park in Tanzania and the Maasai Mara National Reserve in Kenya. The timing and exact locations of the migration can vary from year to year due to the availability of food and water.
The migration is a prime opportunity to witness dramatic scenes of river crossings, where the herds brave crocodile-infested waters, and predators like lions, cheetahs, and hyenas take advantage of the abundance of prey. The best time to witness the migration depends on your specific interests. The river crossings typically occur between July and August in the northern Serengeti, while the calving season takes place from January to March in the southern Serengeti.
Here’s an overview of what each entails:
- Serengeti Wildebeest Migration: The Serengeti Wildebeest Migration is one of the most awe-inspiring natural events on Earth. It involves the movement of vast herds of wildebeest, zebras, and other herbivores across the Serengeti ecosystem in Tanzania, along with their predators in pursuit. The migration follows a seasonal pattern driven by the availability of food and water.
- Calving Season (January to March): The herds gather in the southern Serengeti to give birth to their young. This is a time of intense predator-prey interactions as predators take advantage of vulnerable young animals.
- Migration North (April to July): As the dry season begins, the herds start moving northward in search of greener pastures and water sources, often encountering river crossings with crocodiles lying in wait.
- Crossing the Grumeti River (June to July): A dramatic river crossing event occurs as the herds navigate the treacherous Grumeti River, again facing the danger of crocodiles.
- Migration West (July to October): The herds continue their journey towards the western Serengeti and may cross the Mara River, another challenging river crossing with lurking predators.
- Return South (November to December): The herds start their journey back to the southern Serengeti as the short rains arrive, completing the cycle.
- Gorilla Trekking: Gorilla trekking is a unique wildlife experience offered in the mountainous regions of Uganda, Rwanda, and the Democratic Republic of Congo. It involves hiking into the forests to encounter and observe endangered mountain gorillas in their natural habitat.
- Meeting Mountain Gorillas: You’ll be led by experienced guides and trackers to locate a gorilla group. The encounter is usually limited to a specific time (usually one hour) to minimize stress on the gorillas.
- Immersive Experience: Observing gorillas up close in the wild provides a profound connection to these intelligent and majestic creatures. You’ll witness their behavior, and social interactions, and perhaps even see young gorillas at play.
- Conservation and Community Impact: Gorilla trekking permits contribute to the conservation of these critically endangered species and support local communities living near the gorilla habitats.
To plan this combined safari, you would typically:
- Choose a Destination: Decide whether you want to focus on the Tanzanian side of the Serengeti or explore both the Serengeti and gorilla trekking in Uganda or Rwanda.
- Itinerary: Create an itinerary that includes both the Serengeti migration viewing and gorilla trekking. Consider the best timing for each experience and the logistics involved in traveling between destinations.
- Permits and Accommodation: Obtain necessary permits for gorilla trekking and book accommodations in advance. Gorilla permits can be limited and often need to be secured well ahead of time.
- Travel and Logistics: Arrange transportation between destinations, either by road or air, and plan for ground transfers and other logistical details.
- Guides and Tours: Hire experienced guides for both the Serengeti and gorilla trekking portions of your safari. Local guides are essential for ensuring a safe and informative experience.
Remember that both the Serengeti Wildebeest Migration and gorilla trekking are subject to certain regulations and guidelines to protect wildlife and ensure sustainable tourism. It’s important to respect these rules and prioritize the well-being of the animals and their habitats as well you will need to book all your accommodations and gorilla permits in advance to avoid missing out.
What is the best time to see the Great Migration in Serengeti Tanzania?
The best time to see the Great Migration is during the dry season period which is between the months of July to early October every year. During this period in the southern parts of Serengeti National Park and Ngorongoro Crater the vegetation is sparse and dry, the waterways are as well dry this forces the wildebeests and Zebras to migrate to the North plains that is southern part of Masai Mara National Park to search for fresh vegetation and water. During the Migration the wildebeests and Zebras rear their young ones, this is not simple given the fact it is more of 3000 miles journey which tiresome making it a life and death migration, many die due to exhaustion giving a chance to other carnivore animals to ease their search for food like Hyenas, Cheetahs and Lions. Of the above dry months August and September are the best months to see the Great Migration given the fact this is good time as well to experience the river crossing during the migration, late October the rains will resume in Tanzania and the herds will start their journey back to southern parts of Serengeti National Park and Ngorongoro crater grassland plain areas.
Why book Serengeti Wildebeest Migration and Gorilla Trekking Safari with Eco Adventure Safaris?
Eco Adventure Safaris has positioned itself as one of the leading tour operators offering authentic and value for money Summer Holiday Serengeti Wildebeest Migration and Gorilla Trekking Safaris. We endeavor to provide accurate and timely information that you can rely on to organize Summer Holiday Wildebeest Migration Safaris in Africa. Our staff are always on standby to assist you with all the arrangements, and if you need more information about our service, please visit our trip advisor and website page for more information and tour options about Wildebeest Migration Safaris