Are you Interested in Gorilla Trekking in Uganda?August 21, 2023
Golden Monkey Trekking or Habituation which one is BestAugust 21, 2023
Photographing a Mara River crossing wildebeest Migration during the wildebeest migration is one of the best experiences and an excellent opportunity to capture stunning wildlife shots. The Great Migration, which involves millions of wildebeests, zebras, and other animals moving between the Serengeti National Park in Tanzania and the Maasai Mara National Reserve in Kenya, is one of the most iconic natural events in the world. Here are some tips to help you capture amazing Photographing A Mara River Crossing Wildebeest Migration:
- Choose the Right Time and Place: The migration typically occurs between July and October, but the exact timing can vary. Research and plan your trip to be in the right place at the right time to witness the river crossings.
- Use a Telephoto Lens: A telephoto lens will allow you to get close-up shots of the action without disturbing the animals. A lens with a focal length of around 300mm to 600mm would be ideal for capturing detailed shots from a distance.
- Bring a Wide-Angle Lens: While telephoto lenses are essential for capturing close-ups, a wide-angle lens can help you capture the vastness of the landscape and the scale of the migration. It’s great for panoramic shots and capturing the overall scene.
- Use Fast Shutter Speeds: The animals are in constant motion during a river crossing. To freeze their movements and capture crisp shots, use a fast shutter speed. A shutter speed of 1/1000 second or faster is recommended.
- Focus on Action and Emotion: Try to capture the moments of drama, excitement, and struggle during the crossing. Focus on the expressions of the animals, their interactions, and the tension in the air.
- Pay Attention to Composition: Apply basic composition principles, such as the rule of thirds, leading lines, and framing, to create visually appealing and balanced photographs.
- Capture Reflections: If the water is calm, you can capture beautiful reflections of the animals in the water. This can add an artistic touch to your images.
- Experiment with Different Angles: Don’t just shoot from eye level. Try different angles, such as shooting from a low perspective to create a more intimate connection with the animals or capturing shots from higher vantage points to showcase the scale of the migration.
- Be Patient and Observant: River crossings can take time to unfold, and not every attempt results in a full-scale crossing. Be patient, observe the behavior of the animals, and be ready to capture the action when it happens.
- Respect the Wildlife: Remember that you’re in their natural habitat. Maintain a respectful distance, avoid disturbing the animals, and follow ethical wildlife photography practices.
- Consider Lighting: Early morning or late afternoon light can provide a warm and soft quality to your photographs. Avoid harsh midday light, as it can lead to harsh shadows and overexposed highlights.
- Tell a Story: Use your images to tell a narrative of the crossing show the buildup, the actual crossing, and the aftermath. This can make your photographs more compelling and engaging.
Eco Adventure Safaris is an expert in organizing Masai Mara Wildebeest Migration Safari in Kenya. Are you planning a holiday to visit Africa and see the great wildebeest migration, you are in the right place to help plan and book for you an amazing safari and Photographing A Mara River Crossing Wildebeest Migration
What is Wildebeest Migration
The Great Migration happens every year which involves over 1.5 million wildebeests and thousands of Zebras migrating from the southern parts of Serengeti National Park plains and Ngorongoro crater to the southern parts of Masai Mara National Park in Kenya and back to Serengeti National Park. It is named the Great Migration because it is not like other migrations this is unique and hard because it involves a clock wise movement of wildebeests and Zebras spanning an approximate 3000 kilometer journey as they search for fresh grounds and rear their young ones during seasonal changes every year. The Great Migration normally happens in the dry season forcing the wildebeests and Zebras to move in search for fresh grazing vegetation and water. The Great migration is an epic safari option recommended for many travelers visiting Kenya and Tanzania this will give you best African Safari Experience.
What is the best time to see the Great Migration in Kenya?
The best time to see the Great Migration is during the dry season period that is between the months of July to early October every year. During this period in the southern parts of Serengeti National Park and Ngorongoro Crater the vegetation is sparse and dry, the waterways are as well dry this forces the wildebeests and Zebras to migrate to the North plains that is southern part of Masai Mara National Park to search for fresh vegetation and water. During the Migration the wildebeests and Zebras rear their young ones, this is not simple given the fact it is more of 3000 miles journey which tiresome making it a life and death migration, many die due to exhaustion giving a chance to other carnivore animals to ease their search for food like Hyenas, Cheetahs and Lions. Of the above dry months August and September are the best months to see the Great Migration given the fact this is good time as well to experience the river crossing during the migration, late October the rains will resume in Tanzania and the herds will start their journey back to southern parts of Serengeti National Park and Ngorongoro crater grassland plain areas.
How to book Masai Mara Wildebeest Migration Safari in Kenya?
Once you have your planned dates of travel confirmed we will need you to send us an email here so that we check for availability of services online once we confirm all services are available for your planned dates we will let you know so that we can send you a draft itinerary to start planning for your safari trip to Kenya. Once you confirm the itinerary we will send you an invoice for you to make a deposit, Once the payment is done and we have received it on our account we will go ahead and secure all services accordingly. It is advised to book your safari to Kenya in advance at least 2-3 months’ prior your visit especially if you are planning to travel in the peak season of June to October.
Why book Photographing A Mara River Crossing Wildebeest Migration with Eco Adventure Safaris
Eco Adventure Safaris is experienced in organizing amazing safari experiences to Kenya. We are also highly rated and reviewed on Trip Advisor. We combine Kenya safaris with eco-friendly and unforgettable high-end adventure and wildlife safaris that help preserve biodiversity, conserve wildlife and uplift local communities, these include gorilla trekking, chimpanzee trekking, Big 5 safaris and game viewing, Mountain Hiking, Boat cruises excursions and Cultural encounters to give you a memorable and best African Safari experience including popular and great African safari destinations Tanzania, Kenya, Botswana and Namibia. Feel free to contact us about Photographing A Mara River Crossing Wildebeest Migration.