Which area is best for Gorilla Trekking in MgahingaJuly 12, 2023
The minimum age for Gorilla Trekking in Uganda is now 12 yearsJuly 12, 2023
Are you planning to visit Uganda for Gorilla Trekking starting from Burundi and you are also planning to go on safari in Burundi it is possible to fly into Bujumbura and Trek Gorillas in Uganda? Eco Adventure Safaris will help plan for you a gorilla trip starting from Burundi.
Bujumbura is the capital city of Burundi, while Uganda is a neighboring country known for its incredible wildlife and gorilla trekking opportunities. If you wish to fly into Bujumbura and then trek gorillas in Uganda, here’s a suggested itinerary when you choose to Fly into Bujumbura and Trek Gorillas in Uganda:
- Arrive in Bujumbura, Burundi: Fly into Bujumbura International Airport, the main international gateway to Burundi. Make sure to check visa requirements and have the necessary documentation for entry.
- Explore Bujumbura: Spend a day or two exploring Bujumbura. Visit notable attractions such as the Livingstone-Stanley Monument, Rusizi National Park, or take a boat trip on Lake Tanganyika.
- Travel to Uganda Bwindi Impenetrable Forest National Park: From Bujumbura, you can cross the border into Uganda, you will drive through Rwanda.
- Gorilla Trekking in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park: Bwindi Impenetrable National Park is one of the best places in the world to go gorilla trekking. It is located in southwestern Uganda and is home to approximately half of the world’s remaining mountain gorillas. Embark on an exciting gorilla trekking adventure in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park. Trek through the dense rainforest, following experienced guides who will lead you to one of the habituated gorilla families. Spend an awe-inspiring hour observing these majestic creatures in their natural habitat.
- Return to Kampala or Explore More: After the gorilla trekking experience, you can either return to Kampala or continue your exploration of Uganda. If you have more time, you can visit other national parks like Queen Elizabeth National Park, and Murchison Falls National Park, or go on a safari to spot various wildlife species.
- Departure: When you’re ready to depart, you can fly out of Entebbe International Airport, located near Kampala, which is the primary international airport in Uganda.
Gorilla Trekking in Africa is one of the once in a lifetime experience that attracts many travelers to do during their visit to Africa. Despite the high costs, time and discomfort from booking to doing the hike through the forest to search for these endangered apes watching gorillas in their natural habitat in Uganda, Rwanda and Congo is one of the best wildlife experiences every traveler would do on his/her safari. Gorilla Trekking involves hiking/walking through the forest and at some point difficult terrain, thick vegetation, crossing rivers and swamps in search for gorillas, this activity is challenging and it requires one to be fit at the time of the trek. Gorilla trekking gives you an opportunity to encounter and watch the gorillas in their natural habitat for one hour in Rwanda, Uganda and Congo. For travelers who would like to spend more time with the gorillas in their natural habitat can opt to visit Bwindi Forest for Gorilla Habituation experience which gives you 4 hours encounter with the gorillas.
Cost and Getting Gorilla permits in Uganda
The Gorilla permit in Uganda Costs $700 Per person per trek for the Foreign non residents, $600 Per person for residents and $70 for East African Citizens (Uganda, Rwanda, Tanzania, Kenya, Burundi and South Sudan), this gives you an opportunity to spend one hour encounter with the mountain gorillas in Bwindi Impenetrable Forest National Park or Mgahinga Gorilla National Park. Uganda has 17 habituated gorilla family groups with 16 found in Bwindi and 1 in Mgahinga this means 136 Gorilla permits are available every day for gorilla trekking in Uganda. Gorilla trekking in Uganda also gives you an option to spend more time with the mountain gorillas through Gorilla habituation experience which is only done in Bwindi forest, a gorilla habituation permit costs $1500 per person giving you an opportunity to spend 4 hours encounter with the semi habituated mountain gorillas under the guidance of trackers and researchers as opposed to one hour for the normal trekking. Getting gorilla permits in Uganda can be done directly by booking them through Uganda Wildlife Authority or through a trusted tour operator in Uganda like Eco Adventure Safaris.
What is the age limit for Gorilla Trekking in Uganda?
The minimum age limit for Gorilla Trekking is 12 years and the maximum age depends on fitness levels. Gorilla trekking for elders is now made possible especially in Bwindi forest through the provision of sedan chair carriers, these chairs are used to carry those who feel unfit and are unable to walk into the forest at the time of their trek, you will be carried by potters to and from the forest during your trek, hiring the sedan chair can be done in advance or at the day of the trek and price ranges from 400-500 dollars.
What is the best time for Gorilla Trekking in Uganda?
Fly into Bujumbura and Trek Gorillas in Uganda is done throughout the year and the best time to do a gorilla trekking in Africa is during the drier months of January, February, June to early September, this is makes it easier to travel to the park and gives a clear view of gorillas given the vegetation cover is not too much high grown.
What to pack for Gorilla Trekking in Uganda?
During gorilla tracking in Uganda you will need a comfortable, hard wearing, pair of walking shoes or boots. Conditions are generally very muddy in the forest when it is raining. There are uphill sections which may be quite steep and strenuous. It is also advisable to wear a long sleeve cotton shirt and lightweight long trousers to protect yourself from the undergrowth, stinging nettles and biting ants. Suggested Items to pack for Gorilla trekking;
• Insect Repellent
• Torch/Flashlight – and Spare Batteries
• Wet Wipes
• Water Bottle
• Camera, lenses etc
• Comfortable walking/hiking boots & socks
• Gardening gloves for gorilla tracking
• Sandals/strops/walking shoes
• Hat and Sunscreen
• Rain Jacket
• Binoculars (game/bird watching)
Why book with Eco Adventure Safaris your Uganda Gorilla Trekking from Burundi
Eco Adventure Safaris will help you book your Gorilla Trekking from Burundi in Uganda, Rwanda and DR Congo contact us and we advise you on the booking process. We as well have different gorilla trekking safari packages ranging from budget, mid-range to luxury options that we can book for you including the gorilla permits. Feel free to check out our trip advisor reviews and read from a community of happy satisfied clients. With us, you can be rest assured of a memorable Uganda safari holiday.
We are devoted to providing excellent service and customer satisfaction. Our team of excellent tour consultants is always willing to help answer all your safari questions. We guarantee you a great gorilla tour in Uganda, Rwanda and DR Congo with us. Contact us here about your gorilla trip with Fly into Bujumbura and Trek Gorillas in Uganda.