Flying Safari to Murchison Falls National ParkNovember 14, 2021
Flying Safari to Queen Elizabeth National ParkNovember 14, 2021
The best time to go for gorilla trekking can be done any time throughout the year, for you to do gorilla trekking will depend on when you have time for a break and you are able to travel to Africa to join the once in a lifetime adventure of tracking mountain gorillas in their natural habitats. Gorilla trekking is a very well-organized tourism activity and at any destination, you choose to do gorilla trekking you will have an opportunity to see these gentle giants in their natural environment. In Africa, gorillas can be seen in various countries which include Uganda, Rwanda, DR Congo, Cameroon-Nigeria, Equatorial Guinea, Central African Republic and Gabon. Depending on which gorilla species you are interested in seeing that will determine which country you will visit, main Gorilla species to see in these countries in Africa include Mountain Gorillas which are found in Uganda, Rwanda and DR Congo, Eastern Lowland Gorillas found in DR Congo, Western Lowland Gorillas found in Cameroon, the Central African Republic, DR Congo, Gabon and Equatorial Guinea and Cross river Gorillas found in Cameroon and Nigeria.
Best time for gorilla trekking
Gorilla trekking is done throughout the year and the best time to visit gorillas is during the dry season months of June to early October and December to March. During this time the forests are not very muddy and wet making the treks and walks during the search of gorillas easier, then as well the vegetations are not fully grown giving you great sights and views for photographs during encounter with the gorillas. However, some people consider wet season months as best for gorilla trekking given the fact during this time food is readily available if the forests and gorillas are closer so you don’t need to walk for long to find the gorillas as gorillas stay in close proximity in areas where food is available.
Things to consider when planning for gorilla trekking
Gorilla trekking permits
A Gorilla trekking permit is an important item when it comes to gorilla trekking and it is the only pass that they consider for you to be allowed to go for gorilla trekking. A gorilla trekking permit price is determined by a given host destination which is always constant for a given period of time. Gorilla permits can be purchased from given government bodies for example in Uganda from Uganda Wildlife Authority, Rwanda from Rwanda Development Board, and Congo from Virunga National Park. Contact us here for book gorilla permits and we will help you accordingly.
You will also need to consider accommodation when planning for gorilla trekking. Accommodation determines the region in which you will trek gorillas. Accommodation ranges from budget, mid-range to luxury options we also advice you book according to range and budget you have to avoid disappointments and bad experiences during your gorilla trekking tour.
Transport is also very important when planning for gorilla trekking in Africa because this will help you to get to the national park for gorilla trekking. Transport can be private and public.
Gorilla trekking Rules and Regulations amid the prevailing covid -19
When planning for gorilla trekking you need to research about a destination you are visiting and its policy about covid-19 and gorilla trekking. Various SOPs which have been set by the various governments to be followed by tourists interested in visiting the gorillas, these will help control the spread of the virus to the endangered gorillas. In Uganda the following SOPs have been put in place for gorilla trekking. You can well read about other destinations set SOPs when trekking gorillas here.
- At the briefing points, visitors and staff shall wash hands or sanitize and have their body temperature taken.
- Briefing and debriefing shall be done in small groups of eight (08) tourists after they have been assigned gorilla families for tracking.
- Tourists, staff, and porters who, during the briefing, are observed to be sick shall not be allowed to track. These include anyone with signs of flu, and those who report to have diarrhea, stomach upsets and malaria among others.
- All the visitors, staff and trackers must wear masks.
- A maximum of eight (8) tourists shall be allowed to track a gorilla group per day.
- The tourists must keep a distance of not less than 10 meters away from the gorillas
- The assigned UWA guides shall ensure there is social distancing of 2 meters among the tourists while tracking where practical.
- Before the gorilla viewing commences, all people in the group shall sanitize their hands again.
- The tourists shall carry light equipment to minimize the need for porters while they undertake the tracking.
- Due to the reported side effects of wearing masks for long periods and in high altitudes, visitors shall take frequent breaks during the tracking give themselves time to breathe fresh air. During these breaks, social distancing shall be strictly observed.
- In case a tourist or accompanying members of the team experiences a health related problem, UWA staff shall apply the established evacuation and first aid guidelines to move the affected individual from the field.
Things to pack for the gorilla trek
During gorilla trekking you will need a comfortable, hard wearing, pair of walking shoes or boots given the fact conditions are generally very muddy in the forest when it is raining which makes walking through hard. Suggested Items to pack for Gorilla trekking;
- Insect Repellent
- Torch/Flashlight – and Spare Batteries
- Wet Wipes
- Water Bottle
- Camera, lenses etc
- Comfortable walking/hiking boots & socks
- Gardening gloves for gorilla tracking
- Sandals/strops/walking shoes
- Hat and Sunscreen
- Rain Jacket
- Binoculars (game/bird watching)
What is the minimum and maximum age for gorilla trekking?
The minimum age for gorilla trekking is 15 years and then the maximum age is not set this is determined on how fit you are to the terrain for gorilla trekking. However gorilla trekking now is very possible even for the disadvantaged, elderly and those who are not fit, these are carried to and from the forest using a sedan chair managed by the porters. With this you will be able to visit the mountain gorillas with other tourists carried in a sedan chair by the porter. This is available in Bwindi Impenetrable Forest National Park.
Where best to see the mountain gorillas
When it comes to gorilla trekking and the best place to see mountain gorillas each country has a unique gorilla experience to offer during gorilla trekking ranging from the native gorilla species to the vegetation type and habitat where the gorillas live and the nature of the trek, with this depending on the time you have we recommend you visit at least three countries and do the trek there given the fact this is a once in a lifetime experience. Many travelers consider Uganda and Rwanda as best places to see gorillas in the world given the stability, accessibility and safety during your gorilla safari. However, Rwanda gorilla permit price still pushes many to go trek in Uganda which is more affordable when it comes to the gorilla permit price. Then as well given the fact Uganda is home to 52% of the remaining mountain gorillas in the world many consider this as one of the factor Uganda is the best place to see gorillas in the world.
Booking your gorilla trekking with a Trustworthy Tour Operator
Eco Adventure Safaris is one of the best and trustworthy Tour operators in Africa to book with your gorilla trekking. We have great expertise in planning and booking gorilla trekking safaris to Uganda, Congo and Rwanda contact us, and we advise you on the booking process. We as well have different gorilla trekking safari packages ranging from budget, mid-range to luxury options that we can book for you including the gorilla permits. Feel free to check out our trip advisor reviews and read from a community of happy satisfied clients. With us, you can rest assured of a memorable Gorilla Trek. We are devoted to providing excellent service and customer satisfaction. Our team of excellent tour consultants is always willing to help answer all your safari questions