Eco Friendly Safari in KenyaJanuary 6, 2024
Combine Hiking Mountain Kilimanjaro with a Gorilla trek in RwandaJanuary 10, 2024
Are you interested in trekking gorillas both in DR Congo and Uganda this 5 Days Gorilla Trekking in DR Congo and Uganda is the best itinerary to book, Gorilla trekking in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DR Congo) and Uganda is a unique and exciting adventure that allows you to get up close and personal with these magnificent creatures in their natural habitat.
This 5 Days Gorilla Trekking in DR Congo and Uganda will allow you to trek different species of gorillas, you will visit Kahuzi Biega National Park in Bukavu DR Congo to trek Eastern Lowland Gorillas after you will visit Bwindi Impenetrable Forest National Park to trek the Mountain Gorillas. It’s essential to plan your trip carefully to ensure a safe and memorable experience. Here is a detailed itinerary for 5 Days Gorilla Trekking in DR Congo and Uganda;
Day 1: Kigali to Bukavu Via Ruziz Border Arrival in DR Congo
- Pick up from Kigali Meet your tour guide.
- Transfer to your accommodation in Bukavu.
- Briefing and orientation about the gorilla trekking experience.
- Rest and prepare for the trekking adventure ahead.
Day 2: Gorilla Trekking in Kahuzi Biega National Park
- Early morning breakfast.
- Transfer to the Kahuzi Biega National Park headquarters Registration and a pre-trek briefing by park rangers.
- Begin your gorilla trekking adventure in the lush rainforest, guided by experienced trackers and armed park rangers.
- Spend up to one hour observing a gorilla family in their natural habitat.
- Return to the starting point after the trek and have lunch.
- Rest and enjoy a relaxing evening at your accommodation.
Day 3: Travel from Bukavu to the Uganda-Rwanda Border
- You will travel to Uganda Via the Cyanika border post on the Rwanda-Uganda border. This journey can take around 7 hours by road,
- Cross the Border into Uganda
- At the border post, you’ll need to go through immigration and customs procedures to enter Uganda. Ensure you have all necessary travel documents, including a valid passport, visa (if required), and any permits for gorilla trekking in Uganda.
- Travel to Bwindi Impenetrable Forest
- Once you’re officially in Uganda, you’ll need to continue your journey to Bwindi Impenetrable National Park. This is one of the prime locations for gorilla trekking in Uganda. The travel time from the border to Bwindi can vary depending on which sector of the park you intend to visit, but it can take anywhere from 3 to 6 hours by road.
Day 4: Gorilla Trekking Experience in Bwindi Impenetrable Forest National Park
- Join a guided gorilla trekking tour, which typically starts early in the morning. You’ll hike through the dense forest with experienced guides and trackers to locate a gorilla family. Once you find them, you’ll have a limited amount of time (usually one hour) to observe and photograph these incredible creatures in their natural habitat.
- Bwindi Impenetrable National Park has several trekking starting points, each leading to different gorilla families. Common starting points include Buhoma, Ruhija, Rushaga, and Nkuringo. Ensure you have a permit for the specific gorilla family and sector you wish to visit.
Day 5: Return to Kigali
- After your gorilla trekking adventure in Uganda, you can choose to return to Kigali, Rwanda, the same day or stay overnight in Uganda. When you’re ready to return to Kigali, follow the same route back to the Rwanda-Uganda border and complete the immigration and customs procedures for re-entry into Rwanda.
End of the 5 Days Gorilla Trekking in DR Congo and Uganda
About Gorilla trekking in Kahuzi Biega National Park
Kahuzi Biega National Park was created in 1970 and the first Lowland Gorilla trekking was done in 1973, when it come to Lowland gorilla trekking it ranks high, it was gazzeted to conserve the Grauer’s gorilla species the world’s largest gorilla species. The Eastern Lowland gorillas also known as Grauer’s gorillas is the largest of the largest of the four gorilla subspecies, trekking Eastern Lowland gorillas is done in Kahuzi Biega National park located in Congo 30kms from Bukavu town the can be accessed by road and air. The park was gazetted in 1970 and the first lowland gorilla trekking was done in 1973, this type of trekking is only done here and this makes the park rank high when it comes to the lowland gorilla trekking. The Park has 12 gorilla families and out of these only 2 gorilla families are habituated and they are open for visitors to trek. The families are called Chimanuka and Mugaruka both named after a dominant silver back, Chimanuka is famous for many visitors given it consist of one of the largest gorilla family in the world with over 36 gorilla individuals.
About Gorilla Trekking in Bwindi Impenetrable Forest National Park
Gorilla trekking in Bwindi forest is done in 4 sectors which include Buhoma, Ruhija, Nkuringo and Rushaga. Buhoma sector is located in the northern part of Bwindi and Ruhija sector in the North Eastern part of Bwindi both sectors are located close to Queen Elizabeth National Park making it easy to combine gorilla trekking with game viewing if you are trekking at these sectors. In the southern Part of Bwindi it is where Rushaga and Nkuringo sectors are located close to Mgahinga Gorilla National Park for gorilla trekking and Golden monkey tracking. Each sector has different habituated mountain gorilla families open for gorilla trekking with Rushaga sector having many families compared to other sectors.
What is the best time for Gorilla Trekking in DR Congo and Uganda?
The best time for gorilla trekking in Uganda and DR Congo is during the dry season months which occurs in the months of December, January, February, June, July, August and September during these months it always easy to walk through the trails which are drier compared to the wet months then as well the vegetations is not fully grown and this makes sighting of gorillas easy and more clear. Other months which are slightly wet that is March, April, May, October and November most travelers avoid visiting gorillas during these months because the vegetation is fully grown and trails are much slippery making the trekking much harder.
Where to stay near Kahuzi Beiga National Park.
This ranges from budget, mid-range to luxury. Budget options include Hotel Begonias Bukavu, Exodus bukavu, Lake Side Hotel Bukavu among others fares range from 90-100 dollars a night per person, mid-range options include Coco Lodge Bukavu among others fares range from 100-200 dollars a night per person and then Luxury options include L’Orchids Safari Club fares range from 200-400 dollars a night per person. You let us know the best option that works for you and we will for availability and book you according.
Where to stay during Gorilla Trekking in Uganda
Gorilla trekking in Bwindi Forest National Park is done in the northern part that is Buhoma and Ruhija and in southern part that is Rushaga and Nkuringo sectors. In Rushaga lodges, you can stay at Rushaga Gorilla camp, Four Gorillas Lodge, Rushaga Gorilla Havens Lodge, Nsongi Camp, Icumbi Gorilla Safari Lodge, Gorilla Safari Lodge, Gorilla Valley Lodge and Karungi Camp. In Nkuringo lodges you can stay at Nkuringo Bwindi gorilla lodge, Clouds Mountain gorilla lodge or Lake Mutanda Resort, all these lodges are close to the start point of Gorilla Habituation and Gorilla trekking.
In the northern part, in Buhoma sector you can stay at Buhoma Lodge, Bwindi Lodge, Buhoma Community Rest Camp, Ride 4 a Woman among others, In Ruhija you can stay at Trekkers Tavern Cottages, Agandi Eco Lodge, Gift of Nature Lodge, Ruhija Gorilla Safari Lodge, and Broadbill Tented Camp among others.
How to access Congo for gorilla trekking?
You will fly to Kigali International Airport then connect to Gisenyi town; from Gisenyi town you will cross the Rwanda-Congo boarder to Goma town in DR Congo then drive towards the park headquarters of Kahuzi Beiga National Park from where you will do start the gorilla trek from, it is approximately a 2 hours drive from Gisenyi town to reach the park headquarters.
Why book 5 Days Gorilla Trekking in DR Congo and Uganda Through Eco Adventure Safaris
Eco Adventure Safaris is experienced in organizing amazing gorilla safari experiences to DR Congo, Uganda, and Rwanda. We are also highly rated and reviewed on Trip Advisor. We combine gorilla trekking safaris with eco-friendly and unforgettable high-end adventure and wildlife safaris that help preserve biodiversity, conserve wildlife and uplift local communities, these include chimpanzee trekking, Big 5 safaris and game viewing, Mountain Hiking, Boat cruises excursions and Cultural encounters to give you a memorable and best African Safari experience including popular and great African safari destinations Tanzania, Kenya, Botswana and Namibia. Feel free to contact us for more information about booking the 5 Days Gorilla Trekking in DR Congo and Uganda.