Are you guaranteed to see Gorillas in Rwanda?December 30, 2023
16 Days Combined Congo Burundi Rwanda and Uganda TripJanuary 3, 2024
Are you having less time in Uganda and you would like to visit the Mountain Gorillas, we have a 3 Days Express Gorilla Trekking in Uganda which typically focuses on visiting Bwindi Impenetrable National Park or Mgahinga Gorilla National Park, which are two of the best places in the world to see mountain gorillas in their natural habitat. Here’s a general itinerary for a 3 Days Express Gorilla Trekking in Uganda:
Day 0: Arrival in Uganda
- You’ll arrive at Entebbe International Airport or another designated entry point in Uganda.
- You will be met by a representative from your tour operator or travel agency, who will transfer you to your accommodation in the nearby city of Entebbe or the capital city of Kampala.
- Depending on your arrival time, you may have some leisure time to rest and prepare for the upcoming gorilla trek.
Day 1: Travel to Bwindi Impenetrable National Park or Mgahinga Gorilla National Park
- After an early breakfast, you will depart for Bwindi Impenetrable National Park or Mgahinga Gorilla National Park, which could involve a long drive or a domestic flight depending on your tour package.
- Upon arrival in the park, you’ll check into your lodge or campsite and have some time to relax.
- In the afternoon, you may take part in optional activities like a community visit or a nature walk.
Day 2: Gorilla Trekking
- This is the highlight of your trip. After an early breakfast, you’ll head to the park headquarters, where you’ll receive a briefing about the gorilla trekking experience, including safety guidelines and what to expect during the trek.
- You will be divided into small groups, each assigned to a specific gorilla family for tracking.
- The trek can vary in duration and difficulty, but once you locate the gorilla family, you’ll have one hour to observe and photograph them in their natural habitat.
- Afterward, you’ll return to your accommodation, and the rest of the day is free for relaxation or optional activities.
Day 3: Return to Entebbe or Kampala
- After breakfast, you’ll check out from your accommodation and begin your journey back to Entebbe or Kampala.
- Depending on your flight departure time, you may have some additional activities or sightseeing opportunities along the way.
- The tour concludes with your arrival in Entebbe or Kampala, from where you can either catch your international flight or continue with your onward travel plans.
Please note that gorilla trekking permits are required to visit the gorillas in Bwindi, and they need to be obtained in advance. The permits are limited in number and need to be secured well in advance through a tour operator or directly from the Uganda Wildlife Authority.
About Bwindi Impenetrable Forest National Park
About Bwindi Impenetrable Forest National Park, Bwindi Impenetrable Forest is one of the only 4 national parks home to the endangered mountain gorillas in the world, other national parks include Mgahinga Gorilla National Park in Uganda, Volcanoes National Park in Rwanda and Virunga National Park in DR Congo. Bwindi Forest National Park is one of Africa’s oldest forests with a diverse biodiversity with various species which include 350 birds, 310 butterflies, 200 trees, 51 reptiles, 88 moths and 120 mammals, the park is also home to several primates including chimpanzees, L’Hoest’s monkey and the major one the Mountain Gorillas. The global population of mountain gorillas is 1064 individuals and half of these can be found in Bwindi forest, the park has over 15 habituated gorilla family groups open for gorilla tracking with 8 gorilla permits allocated to each group per day.
Where is Gorilla Trekking done in Bwindi Impenetrable Forest National Park?
Gorilla trekking in Bwindi Impenetrable Forest National Park is done in 4 sectors which include Buhoma, Ruhija, Nkuringo and Rushaga. Buhoma sector is located in the northern part of Bwindi and Ruhija sector in the North Eastern part of Bwindi both sectors are located close to Queen Elizabeth National Park making it easy to combine gorilla trekking with game viewing if you are trekking at these sectors. In the southern Part of Bwindi it is where Rushaga and Nkuringo sectors are located close to Mgahinga Gorilla National Park for gorilla trekking and Golden monkey tracking. Each sector has different habituated mountain gorilla families open for gorilla trekking with Rushaga sector having many families compared to other sectors.
How much is Gorilla Trekking in Bwindi Impenetrable Forest National Park
About Bwindi Impenetrable Forest National Park. A Gorilla Permit costs USD700 per person per trek for Foreign Non-Residents, USD600 for East African Residents and USD70 for East African Citizens. This Gorilla permit gives you an opportunity to spend one-hour encounter with mountain gorillas in Bwindi forest once you find them on your trek.
How to purchase a Gorilla trekking permit for Bwindi
Gorilla trekking permits are purchased from Uganda Wildlife Authority, this can be done at their headquarters in Kampala or Kisoro for tourists arriving in Uganda through Entebbe it is recommended to purchase their gorilla permits from Kampala and for tourists arriving in Uganda through Kigali they can purchase their permits at the branch headquarter of Uganda Wildlife Authority in Kisoro town which is 1-2 hours drive to Bwindi. Eco Adventure Safaris is one of the best gorilla safari companies which can purchase for you your gorilla permit in advance and on short notice, once you confirm your dates and share them with us via email or WhatsApp we will first tentatively reserve the gorilla permits for you online and then send you an invoice for you to make payment and once money comes through on our account we will purchase your gorilla permits immediately and send you scan copies of your permits for your records and perusal and this will confirm you have purchase your gorilla permits for your gorilla trek in Bwindi forest for a given date.
What is the best time to go Gorilla Trekking in Bwindi Forest?
The best time to do a 3 Day quick gorilla trek in Bwindi from Entebbe is during the drier months of January, February, June to early September, this is makes it easier to travel to the park and gives a clear view of gorillas given the vegetation cover is not too much high grown
What to pack for 3 Days Express Gorilla Trekking in Uganda?
During gorilla tracking you will need a comfortable, hard wearing, pair of walking shoes or boots. Conditions are generally very muddy when it is raining. There are uphill sections which may be quite steep and strenuous. It is also advisable to wear a long sleeve cotton shirt and lightweight long trousers to protect yourself from the undergrowth, stinging nettles and biting ants. Suggested Items to pack for Gorilla trekking in Bwindi include;
• Insect Repellent
• Torch/Flashlight – and Spare Batteries
• Wet Wipes
• Water Bottle
• Camera, lenses etc
• Comfortable walking/hiking boots & socks
• Gardening gloves for gorilla tracking
• Sandals/strops/walking shoes
• Hat and Sunscreen
• Rain Jacket
• Binoculars (game/bird watching)
Where to stay during 3 Days Express Gorilla Trekking in Uganda
Gorilla trekking in Bwindi Forest National Park is done in the northern part that is Buhoma and Ruhija and in southern part that is Rushaga and Nkuringo sectors. In Rushaga lodges, you can stay at Rushaga Gorilla camp, Four Gorillas Lodge, Rushaga Gorilla Havens Lodge, Nsongi Camp, Icumbi Gorilla Safari Lodge, Gorilla Safari Lodge, Gorilla Valley Lodge and Karungi Camp. In Nkuringo lodges you can stay at Nkuringo Bwindi Gorilla Lodge, Clouds Mountain gorilla lodge or Lake Mutanda Resort, all these lodges are close to the start point of Gorilla trekking.
Book this 3 Days Express Gorilla Trekking in Uganda on last minute through Eco Adventure Safaris starting your trip either in Kigali or Entebbe.