Closest Airport to Fly to visit Gorillas in DR CongoJune 11, 2023
End of Year Zanzibar Beach HolidayJune 11, 2023
A 3 Day Quick Gorilla Trek from Kampala would typically involve traveling from Kampala to Bwindi Impenetrable National Park or Mgahinga Gorilla National Park in Uganda which is 8-9 hours road trip drive and 1-2 hours flight. These parks are known for their populations of endangered mountain gorillas, and trekking to see them is a popular activity for tourists.
Here’s a general outline of what a 3 Day Quick Gorilla Trek from Kampala might look like:
Day 1: Travel from Kampala to Bwindi/Mgahinga
- Depart from Kampala early in the morning, preferably by road or air.
- The journey to Bwindi/Mgahinga takes around 8-10 hours by road, depending on the route and traffic conditions.
- If you choose to fly, you can take a domestic flight to the nearby airports of Kihihi or Kisoro.
- Arrive at your lodge or accommodation near the national park.
- Rest and prepare for the gorilla trekking experience the next day.
Day 2: Gorilla Trekking
- Early morning, have a hearty breakfast to prepare for the day’s trekking adventure.
- Head to the park headquarters for a briefing on gorilla trekking rules and regulations.
- You’ll be assigned a gorilla family to visit, and a trained guide will lead you into the forest.
- The duration of the trek can vary, usually ranging from 2 to 6 hours, depending on the location of the gorilla group you’re assigned and the difficulty of the terrain.
- Once you locate the gorillas, you’ll spend approximately one hour observing them, taking photos, and enjoying this incredible wildlife experience.
- After the gorilla trek, return to your lodge and have some leisure time to relax.
Day 3: Return to Kampala
- Enjoy breakfast at your lodge.
- Check out from the accommodation and begin your journey back to Kampala.
- The drive can take a similar duration as the journey to the park, around 8-10 hours.
- Alternatively, if you flew into the park, take a domestic flight back to Kampala.
- Arrive in Kampala by late afternoon or evening, marking the end of your 3-day gorilla trekking adventure.
It’s important to note that the itinerary and specific details may vary depending on the availability of permits. Gorilla trekking requires a permit, which should be obtained in advance, as there are limited permits available each day.
I recommend contacting a reputable tour operator in Uganda to organize your 3 Day Quick Gorilla Trek from Kampala. They can provide you with accurate information, arrange transportation, permits, and accommodation, and guide you throughout the process.
How to get to get to Bwindi on gorilla trekking tours starting from Kampala
How to access Bwindi from Kampala by Road; This will depend on which sector you will be doing your gorilla trek in Bwindi Forest; Bwindi can be accessed through the main high-way road from Kampala which approximately 8-9 hours drive. The northern sectors of Ruhija and Buhoma can be accessed by turning off along the Kabale-Kisoro road you will see the sign posted of Uganda Wildlife Authority which you will follow up to the designated sector for your trek. The southern sectors of Rushaga and Nkuringo trailheads can be reached using the road turning off at Muko along Kabale-Kisoro High way.
How to access Bwindi from Kampala by Air; You will be picked up from your hotel in Kampala and transfer to Entebbe to fly from Entebbe International Airport or Kampala’s closest Kajjansi airfield to Kisoro airstrip to access the southern sectors of Rushaga and Nkuringo and then to Kihihi airstrip for the northern sectors of Ruhija and Buhoma. Scheduled and chartered flights are available and operated by domestic airline operators of Aero link and Fly Uganda. You will need to plan with your tour operator for a transfer from the airstrip to your Lodge you are booked for your stay.
About Bwindi Impenetrable Forest National Park
About Bwindi Impenetrable Forest National Park, Bwindi Impenetrable Forest is one of the only 4 national parks home to the endangered mountain gorillas in the world, other national parks include Mgahinga Gorilla National Park in Uganda, Volcanoes national park in Rwanda and Virunga National Park in DR Congo. Bwindi Forest National Park is one of Africa’s oldest forests with a diverse biodiversity with various species which include 350 birds, 310 butterflies, 200 trees, 51 reptiles, 88 moths and 120 mammals, the park is also home to several primates including chimpanzees, L’Hoest’s monkey and the major one the Mountain Gorillas. The global population of mountain gorillas is 1064 individuals and half of these can be found in Bwindi forest, the park has over 15 habituated gorilla family groups open for gorilla tracking with 8 gorilla permits allocated to each group per day.
What is the best time to go Gorilla Trekking in Bwindi Forest?
The best time to do a gorilla trekking in Bwindi forest is during the drier months of January, February, June to early September, this is makes it easier to travel to the park and gives a clear view of gorillas given the vegetation cover is not too much high grown
What to pack for Gorilla Trekking in Bwindi Forest?
During gorilla tracking you will need a comfortable, hard wearing, pair of walking shoes or boots. Conditions are generally very muddy when it is raining. There are uphill sections which may be quite steep and strenuous. It is also advisable to wear a long sleeve cotton shirt and lightweight long trousers to protect yourself from the undergrowth, stinging nettles and biting ants. Suggested Items to pack for Gorilla trekking in Bwindi include;
• Insect Repellent
• Torch/Flashlight – and Spare Batteries
• Wet Wipes
• Water Bottle
• Camera, lenses etc
• Comfortable walking/hiking boots & socks
• Gardening gloves for gorilla tracking
• Sandals/strops/walking shoes
• Hat and Sunscreen
• Rain Jacket
• Binoculars (game/bird watching)
Why Book 3 Day Quick Gorilla Trek from Kampala with Eco Adventure Safaris
Eco Adventure Safaris will help you book your gorilla trekking permits trekking in Bwindi Forest contact us and we advise you on the booking process. We as well have different gorilla trekking safari packages ranging from budget, mid-range to luxury options that we can book for you including the gorilla permits. Feel free to checkout our trip advisor reviews and read from a community of happy satisfied clients. With us, you can be rest assured of a memorable Uganda safari holiday. We are devoted to providing excellent service and customer satisfaction. Our team of excellent tour consultants is always willing to help answer all your safari questions. We guarantee you a great gorilla tour in Uganda, Rwanda and DR Congo with us. Contact us here for more information about booking a 3 Day Quick Gorilla Trek from Kampala.